been pipped for 9 hours, how long.... (pic included)

Update on our "helping out", its 10 hours later and can't tell which one we helped. Have had another one hatch so we now have 11 out of the original 20 and at least one more pipping now.

I think I read your post somewhere about how to successfully help; and that was a great post. Thanks. I know a lot of people say not to help, and I do believe each person has to decide for themselves. But having as much information as you can helps make that decision.

some people will tell you to help, some will tell you do not.

different people different opinions.

I helped a chick out two days ago, and she is just fine.

I'm not saying you should, do what you feel is best, the way i look at it is, if you don't help it, it will die, if i do help it, it will either live or die. i took my chances, MY chick is fine.

My only advice is if you do decide to help, educate yourself first. don't go into it blindly, and hope for the best and prepare yourself for the worst... (which is what you should do when incubating eggs anyway)

Good luck, i hope to see pictures of babies soon either way.

I think I read your post somewhere about how to successfully help; and that was a great post. Thanks. I know a lot of people say not to help, and I do believe each person has to decide for themselves. But having as much information as you can helps make that decision.

well idk if it was my thread, but with that said, you can find pretty much any info on this site, it is very helpful and filled with wonderful people who are educated, and happy to help, wanting to see the best for the other members and there chick(ens)...

That's why i love this site, the site and members have helped me more times then i can remember. which is especially useful considering we only have one avian vet in the area and she is always way to busy to help, talk, or see my birds which kinda leaves me on my own....

My knowledge of chickens and chicken raising has grown so much in the last several years from being a member here, and Ive learned A LOT~ BUT I'm still not an expert by any means...

they've been this way since about 11am. still wiggling, opening and closing bills. cheeping intermittently
how much longer should it take?

it wont let me attach a pic, but here's the link
http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q147/cravenfamily/?action=view&current=pippedducks4142012.jpg

your thoughts please?

Personally, and this is just me, I would leave them be for now. I am by no means an expert, I have a whopping ONE hatch under my belt. The first egg we noticed had pipped on Sunday evening when we got home around 7:30. By 5:30pm Monday evening the tiny little pip hole was no bigger at all (and my pip was much much smaller than either of the two in your picture), and it was pipped on the small end of the egg. I was worried, but left it alone. When I checked an hour and a half later, it had zipped and hatched and was half-way across the incubator already. If they're still wiggling, still breathing, and still chirping normally, I would leave them alone and let them work on it for at least 24 hours before you decide to intervene.

Back
Top Bottom