SOS! Hatching Duckling distressed peeping in shell! Struggling to move. How long till yolk sac is absorbed and I can help??

Blondechica

Hatching
May 22, 2021
Help! I currently have 8 Mallard Duck eggs in the Brooder. After candling on day 28 and seeing all of them pipped internally I decided to make a safety hole in all of them.
Afterwards I still didn’t see much improvement. I carefully opened up the shell above the airsac without damaging the inner membrane. I wetted it with warm water every 2 hours after that to keep it moist.
I waited till the Veins on the top have receded and then decided to make the hole in the membrane a little bigger. None of them bled since I was very careful but with a flashlight I can still see some active veins more in the back.
I did this Yesterday around this time so it’s been around 24 hours.
I don’t want to hatch them prematurely so I’m keeping a close eye on their veins and mouth movement. I heard that if they make a chewing motion or gape it means they are still absorbing the yolk sac.
They sound pretty stressed when they are peeping! Is that normal??
How long should it take until they are ready and I can help them out or can they even get out of this hole on their own??
It is my first time hatching eggs and even if I informed myself everywhere I could I’m still worried!
Every help is greatly appreciated!!😅
I attached a pic of one duckling where you can see the hole in the egg.
I can see his foot from there. Is he malpositioned or is this normal?

Attachments

• CCE2CB31-056E-438D-9FBC-685F1927B4CD.jpeg
    CCE2CB31-056E-438D-9FBC-685F1927B4CD.jpeg
    642.7 KB · Views: 34
He is normals. Ducks can take up the thirty days to hatch. It's important not to rush them.

Thanks for the reply! Can he get out of this hole on his own if he is ready??
Since the hole is so big there is a high risk of getting shrink wrapped. If that happens he will definitely need help. He will also likely be really exhausted after hatch and may need a boost in vitamins to regain his energy.

Since the hole is so big there is a high risk of getting shrink wrapped. If that happens he will definitely need help. He will also likely be really exhausted after hatch and may need a boost in vitamins to regain his energy.
Thank you! What type of vitamins would you recommend I give him? I only have a normal duckling starter food atm😟

Just wondering how you made out in regards to this? Did the duckling survive? What did you need up doing? I currently have 7 that look very just like this. The humidity went down last night and there was very little movement this morning. Turns out they were all shrink wrapped. I’ve moistened with generous amount of coconut oil… really not sure what should happen from this point and how long the process will be?
E22812BD-E2D9-4A81-9C07-A8FE7023CC7C.jpeg
834AB168-8127-43C1-947B-FC4E4C53C246.jpeg
81CAFC5C-F0D6-4908-A01E-59796F7CCB26.jpeg
F2A80203-C112-4D1A-87B3-9765425DAE80.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom