Beep Beep

AmandaLou

Chirping
Feb 17, 2021
I have an ISA Brown who walks backwards quite a bit, she eats, drinks, and all normal chicken stuff, but I’ve read that could be a sign of Vitamin E/Selenium deficiency? I also read to feed her tuna and eggs? Which may be best treatment (if any) these foods or vitamin supplements? She pulls her head in when she walks backwards (like a ducking motion) also….

Could be neurological, or could be some learned behavior coupled with some neurological damage. I had a low ranked bird that kept getting pecked in the head and began displaying a similar behavior. It was like a nervous twitch, but never worsened past the occasional backing up if something suddenly moved in front of her.

I suppose it wouldn't help to treat it as if it were wry neck (which is what you're suggesting) but I don't know if it'll fix it either. Incidentally the tuna and eggs are for selenium, you only need a tiny amount to provide enough. Vit E would be best given in liquid form (you can buy bottles of liquid vit E with droppers, or use gel type caplets) - get the stuff made for humans. Just put a few drops on her food (I was mixing it into a small amount of wet feed) for a few weeks and see if there's any change in behavior.

Back
Top Bottom