Before & 3 weeks old!!

Hand Mama

Chirping
Jul 27, 2020
IMG-20200821-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20200821-WA0002.jpg

Hi, no it's not quite ready, I have a builder who lives across the road who I will put to task when it's time, but I believe they have to be under a lamp for 6 weeks?

Hi, no it's not quite ready, I have a builder who lives across the road who I will put to task when it's time, but I believe they have to be under a lamp for 6 weeks?

They can go out immediately if heat can be provided in a secure coop, or at around 3 weeks without heat in moderate temperatures.

Really ideal to have the coop before the chicks, but I've been there, done that (put my first coop together in the rain in a panic because we needed the chicks out ASAP due to emergency construction work.)

I am always amazed how fast they grow. My coop wasn't ready fast enough either, so I was expanding the brooder every week to give them more space. Hopefully you have some nice weather and can get their new home ready soon. Good luck.
I bought some cube storage that can be built into any shape, size or height, I can add extra cubes & make more room for them, not you're typical brooder but it really works. My first time raising chicks & couple of mishaps, 3 in the brooder & 11in an incubator 😁

Not sure where you are located, but in August here in SE Texas chicks do not need six weeks of artificial heat as it’s warmer outside than it is inside the air conditioned house where we brood new chicks.
Our most recent batch of 24 chicks hatched on July 22, were completely off of artificial heat by they time they were two weeks old, and were moved outside at 3 weeks old into the 3’x12’ transition pen located inside the big run to start their transition into the “real world”. During the daytime while the older chickens are out free-ranging, we let the babies have access to the entire 8’x24’ run, then herd them back in their transition pen about an hour or two before the older chickens come back in for the night.
Chicks grow fast, I’d really recommend not waiting any longer before putting your builder “to task”, and hopefully he doesn’t have other commitments that will delay the start of your build.

Mine are the same age & I just moved them into a large pen in the garage with bird netting attached to the ceiling (only cost $15 for the upgrade). They love perching at different heights & dust bathing at this age & need lots of room to run around & explore. The change in their behavior was dramatic once they had height & space to jump/fly. They are so happy & playful now! Just get some chicken wire & make something temporary to buy some time while you finish the permanent coop.
IMG_4963.JPG

Back
Top Bottom