Before incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by loupan, Dec 12, 2011.

1. loupan

loupan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    Do i need to candle my eggs before i put them into my incubator im worried to move them anymore then they already have been they are shipped eggs not come far but far enough to cause damage please any advise would be great [​IMG]

2. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    I hope someone, who knows more than me (and that would be almost everyone), answers you. In the interim, I'll offer that I've been advised to let the eggs rest for 24-48 hours. Candling before incubating is, I think, optional. I didn't as I had practiced candling on unfertile eggs and couldn't see a thing anyway. lol Good luck with your hatch!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I think candling before incubation will only show you whether you have a porous egg which is not good for hatching,nothing else to see yet.

4. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    I have several porous eggs going into lockdown tomorrow. they look no different from the others...just sayin....

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  5. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    Awesome thanks i will just leave them alone and candle on day 7 i am determined not to get obsessed with candling this time round lol

6. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

I used to candle shipped eggs to see if their air cells are ruptured. Now I don't bother (you will see the irregular air cells later while candling) and just let them sit for 24 hours before incubating (helps stabilize the air cells) and it greatly improves their hatchability. You are right, the less you handle them the better [​IMG] Always wash your hands before touching your eggs. Good luck with your hatch! [​IMG]

7. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    Thanks one question when i let them sit for 24 hrs do i need to turn them or not ? do i just start that when they go into incubator

8. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

only start that when they go in the incubator

9. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:No turning for 24 hrs [​IMG] Sometimes even after I have put them in the incubator and start it up I don't turn on the turner for another day. Incubating is a learning process of trial and error. With experience you will learn what works best for you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by