Before you post asking what breed or gender, read this!

flightfeather21

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 28, 2011
So! I've done some reaserch and this is what I found!

ATTENTION:

All of these general indications are signs not certainties. There are always exceptions to the rule as not all breeds will conform to the general indications.

Unless the chicks have been bred to show sex-linked color differences between the cockerels and pullets, you’ll have to go on other signs.

And you may need to see cockerels and pullets of similar age together to be able to compare and thus easily distinguish the two.

SO...

Cockerels...

Cockerel chick about 6 weeks old.
Note small, rounded tail, and less developed feathering!!!

chick_cock.jpg

Pullets...

Pullet chick about 6 weeks old.
Note well developed tail, and overall feathering.
Note downy neck of cockerel chick in foreground.

chick_hen.jpg

DIFFERENCES SO YOU DONT GET CONFUSED!!!

By five to six weeks old…

• Cockerels are usually bigger than pullets.

• Cockerels have a bigger, redder comb.

• Cockerels are braver and more friendly.

• Cockerels have longer, thicker legs.

• Cockerels have a curved, stumpy tail.

• The feathering in cockerels is less developed all over - on the legs, back, side of neck, crops, wing bows and flank you may see quills or down rather than well developed feathers.

•Pullets usually have wing and tail feathers developing earlier than cockerels.

Another great trick to try is to note their behavior when you sail a hat over their heads. Pullets will cower down, while cockerels will stand erect and make a warning sound.

SO! Hope this helped! Later!

~Flightfeather21~

What is everyone's experience with the rate of feathering and sex determination? None of mine have ever had the scrawny unfeathered look that is said to indicate a cockerel, yet one is significantly bigger, and has a bigger, redder comb and wattle!

Thank you for the tips. I have always had trouble trying to figure out what sex the young chicks were. I would usually just wait until the crowing started to distinguish them apart. Hopefully this will help me figure it out sooner!

Great info - I just posted my 2 mystery gender chicks though the one that I was really suspicious of (and was confirmed quickly) shows all of the characteristics of a cockerel you describe. Should have read this first, as you said but it is still nice to get some confirmation visually. We're going to hang on to our boy for a few more weeks just to be sure but I am going to start searching for a new home just in case.

Hi
These are great overall tips and will keep this in mind as my eggs hatch and grow. I currently have two cochin bantams that were born on St. patrick's day so they are almost 8 weeks old and the larger one has a much more developed tail and is overall bigger than the other one who has a smaller stubby tail. SO I am confused because i thought the tail was the inkling of it being a rooster. They both have equal amounts of feathers. What about round versus pointing feathers around the neck...is that a way to tell?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom