Beginner Coop Designs?

can the nest boxes be a few inches above the shavings/floor or should they be higher than that?

Yes. This is what mine look like:

0121211120-jpg.2497687

I played with sketch-up a little and made a lean-too design. I expect it'll be easier, less expensive, and quicker to build. I really like the monitor roof design, but I don't think I have the building skills to make it well. This seems more suited to my skill set.

I made this from scratch and used the actual dimensions of the lumber.

What changes should be made, and any tips to keep costs down (other then getting wood from FB and CL, which I plan to do)?

Attachments

• snyper_leantoo_coop_a.png
    snyper_leantoo_coop_a.png
    105 KB · Views: 15
  • snyper_leantoo_coop_b.png
    snyper_leantoo_coop_b.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 15
I played with sketch-up a little and made a lean-too design. I expect it'll be easier, less expensive, and quicker to build. I really like the monitor roof design, but I don't think I have the building skills to make it well. This seems more suited to my skill set.

What changes should be made, and any tips to keep costs down (other then getting wood from FB and CL, which I plan to do)?
WOW no advice but I am impressed with your drawings!!!!!!!!!! WISH I had half of those skills it would probably have made it much easier for my husband to picture what I had in my mind for our coop. HAAHAA. Good thing we have been together almost 25 yrs so he understand what I am trying to say/describe or who knows what I would have gotten.

I forget if there is a size constraint or not. I find myself wondering if there is a reason you aren't building a 4x8 structure you can actually walk into.

I would be putting the 4' end board inside the long boards. Cut to 45" of course.
While awesome that you sloped the roof, with that short of a span and not being in an extreme snow area you don't need a 16" drop over 4' in width.
A 6" drop is plenty. It may allow for shorter rafters making the cut offs a more usable length for other projects.

Last edited:
I forget if there is a size constraint or not. I find myself wondering if there is a reason you aren't building a 4x8 structure you can actually walk into.

I would be putting the 4' end board inside the long boards. Cut to 45" of course.
While awesome that you sloped the roof, with that short of a span and not being in an extreme snow area you don't need a 16" drop over 4' in width.
A 6" drop is plenty. It may allow for shorter rafters making the cut offs a more usable length for other projects.
Yea, not a builder so I didn't know about the roof slope being too much.

It's simple enough to make it 4x8, takes some of the math out, but won't it be too big?
my "legal" limit is 6 chickens; 5 hens + 1 rooster, but I'm fudging that to 6 hens no rooster

WOW no advice but I am impressed with your drawings!!!!!!!!!! WISH I had half of those skills it would probably have made it much easier for my husband to picture what I had in my mind for our coop. HAAHAA. Good thing we have been together almost 25 yrs so he understand what I am trying to say/describe or who knows what I would have gotten.
Thanks!

It's simple enough to make it 4x8, takes some of the math out, but won't it be too big?
my "legal" limit is 6 chickens; 5 hens + 1 rooster, but I'm fudging that to 6 hens no rooster

You can have it steep if you like a steep roof. I prefer less for wind to grab. A 6" drop would be about as shallow as I would want. Go with what feels right for your area though.

As to to big....it really is just a foot longer than your drawing. I have never had a bird complain about to much space. Plenty of issues arise with to tight of a space.

Less math=easier in my book. :D

Your neighbors will thank you for sticking to all hens.

You can always claim one hen self-identifies as a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom