Beginner Coop Designs?

It's simple enough to make it 4x8, takes some of the math out, but won't it be too big?

There's no such thing as too big. The usual guidelines for space in the coop are minimums. More room is always handy.

If it were mine I'd make it taller -- especially since the 2x4's generally come in 8-foot lengths, which would save cutting, at least on the front side. :)

Well Biscuits....

it looks like over $1200 for just the wood... stupid covid
that almost the same price as getting an OverEZ coop. I'd like to build but that's just as much and completed, thoughts?

I've been searching and putting posts online (facebook) for used/left over lumber, dry as a bone out there, or here in my area.

Hoop coops are probably the most economical. And, if you build something else down the road, the materials can be repurposed towards a run.

@KBNAZ Did a nice job of finding some other ways to get materials. I don't think this will translate to what you want directly, but may give you some ideas:
Repurposed box spring secondary coop
I looked at hoop coops, but they seem more like runs vs coops... I'll research some more

@poultryprofessor is working on something that also may have some good pointers. Note the post also points to here:
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/ASC/ASC189/ASC189.pdf

These hoop coops are what we are currently using at the university here in Jeff City, MO. Build cost depends on your preferences, but ours ran about ~$300-350 with current lumber prices. I am working on a comprehensive build guide, but the original plans were made based on this publication out of Kentucky. Just note their cost specs are very out of date and they assume some general knowledge of tools/materials. I can also provide a draft of our comprehensive guide if someone is interested. Eventually the full guide will be publicly available - just needs some editing and pictures.

View attachment 2618495

Our initial build used their 5mil tarps because they are cheap, but I will tell you they did not hold up. Between rubbing on a few rough points of wire/wood/etc and UV damage from the sun, they had large tears and were visibly degraded within about six months. We replaced both with 10-mil tarps which were more expensive, but have lasted longer. You definitely will want to secure the structure to the ground. We just tie the braces on the front to t-posts driven into the ground or use ground anchors.

These are roughly 8 x 8 and have worked well for ~15 pullets/hens.

Many of the hoop coops are tractor minded ... but that doesn't mean it has to be.

I'll be building my run soon based on Blooie's.

There are lots of good ideas out there.

I'd be really curious to see some sort of Monitor Roof like @3KillerBs built into a hoop coop. It would probably require some sort of permanent roof such as @21hens-incharge linked to.

that almost the same price as getting an OverEZ coop. I'd like to build but that's just as much and completed, thoughts?

Except that when you've spent that money on a build of your own you'll have a larger, better-built, better-designed coop that will make you happier over the long term. :)

Well Biscuits....

I've been searching and putting posts online (facebook) for used/left over lumber, dry as a bone out there, or here in my area.
not sure of your wood prices there but thought MA was more expensive than KY. what size coop are you building? We did an 8x8 raised coop and got wood for a 18x8 run (I didn't get the plywood for the roof covered run since at the time we weren't sure what type of roof we were doing on the run. and I did forget the wood for the top of the uncovered part) and the wood was $1400 for all of that and think I got extra wood too. and uncovered run I did PT wood since there was no shelter for it which PT is more expensive).

Back
Top Bottom