Beginner questions

jessyfromdenver

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 15, 2012
Thornton CO
Hi! I bought my first baby quail a week ago, and I'm feeding them ground up wild bird feed (Manna Pro brand, but I found an organic alternative I'll be switching to, locally produced too!), but I understand I can eventually feed them veggies/kitchen scraps as a supplement to their feed. When can I start doing this? Anyone know? Also, meal worms? When can I start giving them that?

The guy I bought them from from suggested I mix Calf Manna in a 1:3 ratio with their food to make them get fatter. When I looked up what Calf Manna is, I don't think I want to feed it to my quail. But some of the ingredients are oatmeal, brewers yeast, flax seeds, fenugreek, vegetable oil, whey, could I just grind and mix those things up myself and feed it to them? I'd replace vegetable oil with a healthier oil, like coconut or olive, you think? Is it totally crazy to want to try that? I just really don't want them eating all the soybean meal and corn, which are the first two ingredients. And I'm sure that that's in the organic feed (I know it's in the feed I'm using right now), so why add more, you know?

Finally, the guy who sold them to me said they were Tuxedos and Rosettas, though they look more like Pharos and Cinnamons, from the pics I'm looking at. Anyway, how do I tell the boys from the girls? LOL. I feel silly not knowing the answers to all these questions!

Wild bird seed does not have enough nutrition for quail, especially baby quail. Babies are developing their brain matter at this age and you can cause serious issues with cognitive growth and over all organ growth. So you really need to get them on gamebird food. And something with 26% or 28% protein.

Calf Manna pellets are an excellent supplement to a good diet, but are never used solely as food. All the ingredients are great for all poultry and will help to increase laying and over all health. They are mixed in at a 1:10 ratio. 1:3 is way too high.

Last edited:
Wild bird seed does not have enough nutrition for quail, especially baby quail. Babies are developing their brain matter at this age and you can cause serious issues with cognitive growth and over all organ growth. So you really need to get them on gamebird food. And something with 26% or 28% protein.

Calf Manna pellets are an excellent supplement to a good diet, but are never used solely as food. All the ingredients are great for all poultry and will help to increase laying and over all health. They are mixed in at a 1:10 ratio. 1:3 is way too high.

it's this stuff.

Oh, Ok. :) I have used this brand of food and it is a great feed to use. This is a complete feed and I don't think you need the calf manna pellets, at least not yet. Once they start laying, you might crush up a handful and toss it into a bag this size. The calf manna supplement is very potent and only a tiny bit is needed. It works well for birds coming out of sickness, older aged birds or when you are showing birds. :)

Thanks! I just went out and bought more of it, they are eating lots! My local feed store doesn't carry the organic stuff I normally like so I had to special order it. Had I driven another half hour I could have bought some directly from the company that makes it! Lol.

Another question: I can't over feed them, can I? They're not like fish, right? Ha ha, I'm so new to this. I thought I read a lot before I started but now I feel like I know nothing!

Don't be afraid of tossing greenery in the cage as well, they love it, I daily through in vegetable greenery (this is grown in my organic garden so no fear of poisonous sprays on it), the only downside is it is more mess to clean out later.
regards Howie

Too much! Lol. This will last me about a week. I only have 12 chicks. I just bought it to hold me over until I can get the 40lb sack of the kind I want. :)

Back
Top Bottom