Beginner with ???

Markgyver

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2019
Hello,
I would like to raise a flock of guinea fowl in Adams, Ny. We have 10 acres with a 500+ feet of stream and over 3 acres of mowed lawn.
I was thinking if starting with around 10-12 birds. My biggest question as of now is about the coop.
The house used to have a small veterinary clinic in it. So there is water in the old clinic and then a small storage room off the back of clinic. Off the storage room there is a kennel that is 10x12’ and about 6’6” high. The roof does not extend over the kennel but I can make it so they don’t get rained on. The kennel has as I said a man door going into house, actually behind garage. Chain link fence with a gate to go into backyard. The floor is black top with concrete curb.
So I’m thinking this is a great spot to cool them as it will be easy for me to keep feed and water right inside the house and the prebuilt pest proof kennel. But the thing I’m not sure of is if I extend a tarp or something over kennel the roof would be about 6’ high with pitch, is this high enough? And also what about the black top floor, I figure hay can cover it but just wasn’t sure if it would be a PIA to clean or bad for the guinea.
Any advice is appreciated! Thanks, Markgyver!
And remember you can’t break broken, but I can probably fix it

Your guineas will need a coop.
As adults guineas like a high roost. Also in NY you have similar winter as me here in Michigan. They need a place for that, inside draft free and roomie enough for 3 months time.
The chain link pen will not keep keets or adults safe at night from preditors that can fit through the openings like rats, snakes and the dredded weasel who is a killing machine.
adult guineas can and will fly out of that pen. My guineas spend alot of time on the roof of my coop and 3ven my house. That is the best spot to keep lookout. Also its almost like King of the mountain game to them. They take turns up there.
My tick problem is lessened with my free range guineas but not gone.
They are quite entertaining. I love my guineas!
Welcome to the backyard!
chickend 004.JPG

He Markgyver,
you should start a new thred over in the Guinea section of the website with the photos of what you have now and the guinea experts like @R2elk can help you out with good advice.
I would advize you start with keets as adult birds sometimes take a long time to inprint to there new home. I have had some confined for 2 months and they still went walk about never to be seen again.
I am curious to see how your guinea story continues.

Back
Top Bottom