Beginner

The web site says that it can hold up to four hens. However, in my experience, ALL COMMERCIAL COOP VENDORS LIE ABOUT CAPACITY. I hope that's emphatic enough.

Lydia is probably right. I'd say 2-3 is the most it can reasonably handle. That coop looks very cramped. I know that Rural King generally sells with a minimum of 6 which is why I do not buy there- I am on my second set of three. You might be able to buy somewhere else or split the chicks with someone else who wants some.

Edit: Putting 6 adult chickens in that coop would be like putting 6 adults in a 2-bedroom apartment in the city while they are under lockdown and can't leave. Absolutely horrible for their mental and physical health.

Last edited:
The web site says that it can hold up to four hens. However, in my experience, ALL COMMERCIAL COOP VENDORS LIE ABOUT CAPACITY. I hope that's emphatic enough.

Lydia is probably right. I'd say 2-3 is the most it can reasonably handle. That coop looks very cramped. I know that Rural King generally sells with a minimum of 6 which is why I do not buy there- I am on my second set of three. You might be able to buy somewhere else or split the chicks with someone else who wants some.

Edit: Putting 6 adult chickens in that coop would be like putting 6 adults in a 2-bedroom apartment in the city while they are under lockdown and can't leave. Absolutely horrible for their mental and physical health.
Where do I order 3 hens?

Where do I order 3 hens?

There are a number of possibilities. First, it would be helpful to know where you are located. Please go to your account page and put your general location in. Many answers will vary depending on where you are located.

Finding a source for three exactly like you want may be a challenge right now. 2020 has been a crazy year and a lot of people have rushed in to raising chickens for eggs this year. Some possible sources for fewer chicks/pullets:
  • Craigslist- Beware. Unfortunately, there are unscrupulous people who will be happy to sell you older hens who are on the decline for laying eggs who will sell to newbies as young layers.
  • Feed stores- may or may not carry chicks.
  • If you join your state thread on BYC, you can ask if anyone has chicks/chickens for sale or if anyone would be interested in splitting a Rural King purchase with you.
  • Online hatcheries- I don't know what their minimum orders are, but they are a possibility.
This is entirely up to you, but I'd suggest being open to getting chicks. They are quite enjoyable, provide an excellent bonding experience for you and your kids and should be easier to manage when they are older because they were raised around you.

I'm very glad you've paused before buying. If you don't have previous experience (I didn't either), there is a lot to learn and I'm sure you don't want to make your chickens miserable and/or kill them due to easily avoidable mistakes.

Keep reading and asking questions. They will be better off for the effort.

Back
Top Bottom