Beginner's Hatch-A-Long

thanks! I made their run pretty huge so I think between that and the amount I spend in the garden we should get by.

I want to get a dog some day but I don't think I'm ready for the committment yet - I have a 4 and 6 year old and it's enough for me LOL

Having a dog is like having another child.
smile.png

I would give up just because I would want the heartbreak to be over. I just talked to my one friend and she said the first year she did it with her class no eggs hatched. It happens
sad.png
I'm so sorry for you and the kiddos.
I have to say the response from the kids and their parents has been amazing. They've all been very grateful, thought it was a good lesson for the kids. The kids just said - ok next time! They raised butterflies at the same time and those were successful so that helped. Overall I don't feel too bad to be honest, just frustrated.

So we have 6 hatched, one pipped egg got trampled by the chicks and I think drowned in the shell after pip, and one still in the egg and working its way out. 4 eggs left no pip but I wasn't sure about them at lockdown. We will give them a couple more days just in case. I was very sorry to see not everyone had the same luck,
hugs.gif
Wishing everyone success next time, and good luck to those still waiting! Also... anyone have a clue on the breed of the yellow chicks in these pictures? They were supposed to be silkies, but they're bigger, don't have that extra toe, or any fur on their legs.. I think we have a black and a blue silkie though... Anyone have any input?
idunno.gif

Here's the babies:

So we have 6 hatched, one pipped egg got trampled by the chicks and I think drowned in the shell after pip, and one still in the egg and working its way out. 4 eggs left no pip but I wasn't sure about them at lockdown. We will give them a couple more days just in case. I was very sorry to see not everyone had the same luck,
hugs.gif
Wishing everyone success next time, and good luck to those still waiting! Also... anyone have a clue on the breed of the yellow chicks in these pictures? They were supposed to be silkies, but they're bigger, don't have that extra toe, or any fur on their legs.. I think we have a black and a blue silkie though... Anyone have any input?
idunno.gif

Here's the babies:

Left - to - right breeds:

Cute - Cutie - SoCute - ExtraCute and Adorable

sorry not helpful but OMG they're cute!

hugs.gif
idunno.gif

Here's the babies:

Do you have a picture of the egg they hatched from?

We had to put the one chick down tonight. It was the one that had a ton of blood when it was born, the yolk sac didn't absorb all the way and it's umbilical cord was still attached. It was eating and playing fine and then today it's intestines started to pull down. It seemed like it was in pain. My hubby tried to push the intestines back in but he said there was just too much and they were bleeding. So we only have 3 chicks out of the 18 eggs we started with. I'm grateful for the ones we have but hopefully we will do better next time. I think I'm going to order more eggs and give it another try. Ugh! I must love to torture myself! lol

We had to put the one chick down tonight. It was the one that had a ton of blood when it was born, the yolk sac didn't absorb all the way and it's umbilical cord was still attached. It was eating and playing fine and then today it's intestines started to pull down. It seemed like it was in pain. My hubby tried to push the intestines back in but he said there was just too much and they were bleeding. So we only have 3 chicks out of the 18 eggs we started with. I'm grateful for the ones we have but hopefully we will do better next time. I think I'm going to order more eggs and give it another try. Ugh! I must love to torture myself! lol

I'm so sorry! :(
That must have been really tough. I dont know if I could do something like that very easily... I pray that your others are going to be healthy and happy!

I have to say the response from the kids and their parents has been amazing. They've all been very grateful, thought it was a good lesson for the kids. The kids just said - ok next time! They raised butterflies at the same time and those were successful so that helped. Overall I don't feel too bad to be honest, just frustrated.

Kids are so resilient, bless their cotton socks. Hopefully next time things will go much better.
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
so sorry to hear you lost one.

hugs.gif
idunno.gif

Here's the babies:
love.gif

I'm sorry that happened, sounds like you did the right thing though!

Back
Top Bottom