Beginner's Hatch-A-Long

Day 10 candled my 24 eggs. We eliminated 6 that we not good. It was so exciting to see them move! We think one of our eggs has two inside? My daughters were really excited and are learning besides;) this is great! Next I'm gonna have to post on incubators anonymous:-0
LOL I hear ya. WOW thats neat on the twins. I hope they both do well.
lol.png

Day 10 candled my 24 eggs. We eliminated 6 that we not good. It was so exciting to see them move! We think one of our eggs has two inside? My daughters were really excited and are learning besides;) this is great! Next I'm gonna have to post on incubators anonymous:-0

happy for you, glad you have some good eggs. I bet the kids are excited! I had no idea you can have twin chicks thats pretty neat. I know what you mean , I need a 12 step program now lol.

Last edited:
Candled eggs one last time and started lick down. The egg with the twins does not look good. Saw a couple move but not as much as day 10 candle. I hope they are fine! I am so worried we will not have any hatch. We went to tractor supply and bought brooding supplies and food. We are ready so hopefully they are too;) it is so fun sharing with my new found BYC friends. Now humidity staying higher is a concern. I read not to open incubator until hatch is over from day 18 on. I know I will have to add water again. Dosent a hen get up from time to time before hatch to get a drink or eat? They best thing about the kids are they don't care about any of the the other stuff just when are the chicks gonna be here;) Now the waiting and worrying game begins!

Candled eggs one last time and started lick down. The egg with the twins does not look good. Saw a couple move but not as much as day 10 candle. I hope they are fine! I am so worried we will not have any hatch. We went to tractor supply and bought brooding supplies and food. We are ready so hopefully they are too;) it is so fun sharing with my new found BYC friends. Now humidity staying higher is a concern. I read not to open incubator until hatch is over from day 18 on. I know I will have to add water again. Dosent a hen get up from time to time before hatch to get a drink or eat? They best thing about the kids are they don't care about any of the the other stuff just when are the chicks gonna be here;) Now the waiting and worrying game begins!
When it's time to raise the humidity, put a dampened sponge or paper towel in there so that the humidity rises. It's all about surface area. I have a syringe I use to squirt water in there. I have a Little Giant incubator, and it has these tiny vent holes that I can easily fit the tip of the syringe into. How exciting!!
I'm on my 3rd incubation, the first one was complete fail, the second was amazing- only got 6 out of 14 eggs to hatch though.. I'm expecting a much better hatch rate this time around!

oh man I sure hope they do fine and you have a good hatch!
Went into lock down tonight myself. Candled and had one more I had to take out that had a blood ring. Now I have 36 eggs left I believe it was that or 35.
I added my warm water in there and now I wait and don't open the thing. ummmm this is going to hopefully NOT BE a long wait. lol my nephew I borrowed the bator from said his always starts hatching out on day 20 so hope mine will do the same. two days to wait. lol

New to the site, but we just started 13 (lucky number I know, but playing the odds :) in our incubator yesterday. Grew up with chickens on one of our farms, but this is our first time having them myself with my own family on our farm. We got some chicks for layers last year but the kids wanted some babies again; so here we go I suppose and we got a rooster about 8 days ago. I'm sure I'm a bit rusty at some things, but hopefully I'll be ok and will all come back to me after not messing with them since I left out of the house and went on to college almost 14 years ago. Haha.. So anyway, we did get our roo and he went to work as soon as he got here and started falling in love...x5. We started gathering the eggs to save to put in the incubator after about the second day after I had checked them for fertilization (bullseye) and seen they were probably good to go. There were also a couple that were ate and 13 just happened to be the number we ended up with and the kids were anxious (as well as myself) to get them started and see how it works out. I would rather have a broody hen, but since none have ever been since we have had them at all, incubator was the next step. Wish us luck!!

I just received my Brinsea Eco Octagon 20 in the mail and am just setting it up. My eggs are being shipped next week and I am getting everything set. I have a thermometer and humidity monitor but ordered two additional based on some tips on BYC forums. Our last year home made incubator was a complete bust so I purchased something this year. With all the eggs and the incubator, I hope I am able to break even at least at my next poultry swap in May. I wish the two Silkies I just got could brood some of the eggs but they are too young themselves. I am super excited about this experiment! This forum is so very encouraging! Send good hatching vibes my way.

Good luck!
oh no I am so sorry. :(

The one I put back in the bator was a bad one to. So I took it out. Mine will go into lock down on Sunday. This will be my very first chickens to ever hatch out.
fl.gif
Thanks, and good luck to you too!

New to the site, but we just started 13 (lucky number I know, but playing the odds
smile.png
in our incubator yesterday. Grew up with chickens on one of our farms, but this is our first time having them myself with my own family on our farm. We got some chicks for layers last year but the kids wanted some babies again; so here we go I suppose and we got a rooster about 8 days ago. I'm sure I'm a bit rusty at some things, but hopefully I'll be ok and will all come back to me after not messing with them since I left out of the house and went on to college almost 14 years ago. Haha.. So anyway, we did get our roo and he went to work as soon as he got here and started falling in love...x5. We started gathering the eggs to save to put in the incubator after about the second day after I had checked them for fertilization (bullseye) and seen they were probably good to go. There were also a couple that were ate and 13 just happened to be the number we ended up with and the kids were anxious (as well as myself) to get them started and see how it works out. I would rather have a broody hen, but since none have ever been since we have had them at all, incubator was the next step. Wish us luck!!
Good luck!
I have 4 pipping now and can hear one chirping. The dog will go crazy if it starts chirping pretty bad. When I had chicks last spring he wanted to get IN the brooder box with them. lol rotten dog. Anyway one of them is fighting to get out and is really making headway.

Back
Top Bottom