Beginner's Hatch-A-Long

hi everyone,
I just received my first incubator (ever) today!! I haven't put in any eggs yet, I might tomorrow, but i'm just wondering if I should have a thermometer in my incubator while it's on, just to make sure it's going good, or should I just not bother,
thanks for any help,
also if anyone has any tips please feel free to tell me!!
If you can get a thermometer/hygrometer combo that will be even better. Also I would check out this posting https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/577310/a-guide-to-humidity-weighing-and-lockdown it has a ton of great tips and info.

I have a hovabator 1588, I LOVE it!! It is so easy to run and is almost hands off with the turner. Even though it has a built in thermometer I have thrown one in it just to make sure the built in one is accurate. The only "problem" with is was the large price tag. I tried to find used but that is next to impossible. I also bought a hovabator 1602 (I think) for a hatcher, but I haven't used it yet.

Another good article is this one https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 there is also an article/posting on still air incubators on BYC but I can't find it.

Good Luck!

I candled several of my brown eggs last night and all I could see was dark areas in there. Could not see any veins at all because of them being brown. My nephew let me borrow his better flash light so I hope when I get home I can do some more of them and see some veins. I sure hope this one will be better. I did order me one today though so I can see them better so hopefully it will be shipped today and I will have it shortly.

I googled last night looking for pix or videos on brown eggs so I will know what to look for on the good and the bad ones.

Day 10 candled my 24 eggs. We eliminated 6 that we not good. It was so exciting to see them move! We think one of our eggs has two inside? My daughters were really excited and are learning besides;) this is great! Next I'm gonna have to post on incubators anonymous:-0

Day 10 candled my 24 eggs. We eliminated 6 that we not good. It was so exciting to see them move! We think one of our eggs has two inside? My daughters were really excited and are learning besides;) this is great! Next I'm gonna have to post on incubators anonymous:-0
how exciting. I sure hope it IS two in there and both make it!!

Yeah I candled mine when I got home and had 1 with a blood ring, and 5 un-fertile ones out of 43. Now I have 37 and was unsure about 1 of them so it went back in the bator. Might need to recheck it so I can toss it if it's not good to. Good luck on your hatch!

I just received my Brinsea Eco Octagon 20 in the mail and am just setting it up. My eggs are being shipped next week and I am getting everything set. I have a thermometer and humidity monitor but ordered two additional based on some tips on BYC forums. Our last year home made incubator was a complete bust so I purchased something this year. With all the eggs and the incubator, I hope I am able to break even at least at my next poultry swap in May. I wish the two Silkies I just got could brood some of the eggs but they are too young themselves. I am super excited about this experiment! This forum is so very encouraging! Send good hatching vibes my way.

My test run was a complete failure. My speed eggs came early so I have more in the bator already. Fingers are crossed for a good hatch.
oh no I am so sorry. :(

The one I put back in the bator was a bad one to. So I took it out. Mine will go into lock down on Sunday. This will be my very first chickens to ever hatch out.
fl.gif

Last edited:
I just received my Brinsea Eco  Octagon 20 in the mail and am just setting it up. My eggs are being shipped next week and I am getting everything set. I have a thermometer and humidity monitor but ordered two additional based on some tips on BYC forums. Our last year home made incubator was a complete bust so I purchased something this year. With all the eggs and the incubator, I hope I am able to break even at least at my next poultry swap in May. I wish the two Silkies I just got could brood some of the eggs but they are too young themselves. I am super excited about this experiment! This forum is so very encouraging! Send good hatching vibes my way. 
[/quote
Good luck! My first batch ever due Thursday!

Back
Top Bottom