Beginner's Hatch-A-Long

DavidKerk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Hi, this is a hatch-a-long for all those beginners (including me) in incubating. It doesn't matter when your eggs are hatching, just that your a beginner. I'm crossing my Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster with Leghorn, New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Orpingtons, and Australorps. They are due to hatch on May 1 or 2.

:::raising hand:::: I'm a newbie to all of this, attempting to hatch eggs as a homeschooling project with my kids. We put the eggs in last night, so we're on Day 1 over here.

Good luck to everyone who is just starting out!

My temp. is starting to get too high. :( I'm kind of worried, but I'm sure I can resolve it!

So what breed is everybody doing? I hope you guys' hatches are successful!

My eggs that I purchased are mixed bantam cochin, some are frizzles. I am also going to put some buff orpington/americana cross eggs in just for layers and to fill the empty space.

My eggs that I purchased are mixed bantam cochin, some are frizzles. I am also going to put some buff orpington/americana cross eggs in just for layers and to fill the empty space.
I've always thought cochins were cool looking!

I was nominated to be in charge of my son's classroom chicken hatching Life Cycle project. I am completely clueless!
D.gif
I have been spending hours reading and re-reading everything on BYC. I am sure I have completely done everything possible wrong with the first three eggs we set in the incubator (RCOM mini) on April 9th. If they hatch I believe they will be super chickens due to having to survive my mishandling and ignorance.

Anyway, we have been bitten by the chicken bug as well and ordered 18 fertile Blue Laced Red Wyandotte eggs to hatch at home. They arrived yesterday. All are intact and were candled last night. Seem mostly normal to an inexperienced eye but that's how we learn. Have one egg that is rather small and I can't tell which end is which as it seems to be a complete oval. Have set them in an egg carton with big end up over night to settle after shipping before setting in the incubator today for hatch date of MAY 17! Wish us luck. Sounds like odds are against us!

I was nominated to be in charge of my son's classroom chicken hatching Life Cycle project. I am completely clueless!
D.gif
I have been spending hours reading and re-reading everything on BYC. I am sure I have completely done everything possible wrong with the first three eggs we set in the incubator (RCOM mini) on April 9th. If they hatch I believe they will be super chickens due to having to survive my mishandling and ignorance.

Anyway, we have been bitten by the chicken bug as well and ordered 18 fertile Blue Laced Red Wyandotte eggs to hatch at home. They arrived yesterday. All are intact and were candled last night. Seem mostly normal to an inexperienced eye but that's how we learn. Have one egg that is rather small and I can't tell which end is which as it seems to be a complete oval. Have set them in an egg carton with big end up over night to settle after shipping before setting in the incubator today for hatch date of MAY 17! Wish us luck. Sounds like odds are against us!
I think you'll do fine! I actually made a mistake early in my incubating and had the temperature too low so I adjusted it and everything went crazy with the temperature all over the place. A few days after I stabilized the temp. I candled and most were alive and well! I think hatching eggs are hardier than we think! I hope your hatches go well!

Back
Top Bottom