Beginning coop construction...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by beautifulpirate, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Gridguru

Gridguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2016
    Dallas, TX area.
    Looking great!

You may have already mentioned it, but what are you going to use on the sides?

2. beautifulpirate

beautifulpirate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016

I had not mentioned yet but we will be using plywood siding. It looks like this.

[​IMG]

3. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    I used smart side on mine and really liked it so far. It looks like the T1-11 siding but it has an epoxy finish on the outside and it is already primed. I got it cheaper then the plywood siding and since it is already primed it will save some money on primer as well.

4. beautifulpirate

Mar 10, 2016
    Got a smidge more done today. Not much. Finished the rafters on this side and wedged more hardware cloth into these spaces for protection. These will be our main ventilation in the winter. We'll have plenty of other ventilation options but these are the primary cold weather vents.
    [​IMG]

Here are the other angles...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow we are taking a break from the coop to plant our vegetable garden. We hope to finish installing the rafters on the front and erect the wall siding by Wednesday.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

5. beautifulpirate

Mar 10, 2016

That sounds fantastic! Unfortunately this was all we could find locally. But I am still happy with it. I think it will all turn out wonderfully in the end.

6. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    There's been a million buildings built with T1-11 siding. It will serve you well.

7. beautifulpirate

Mar 10, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Slow going today. One wall partially up. Hoping to get the other three xcut and up tomorrow. Still lots to do after- making and installing the nesting boxes, adding trim, fascia and soffits, gutters, roof and shingles, making the pop door, painting, adding the doors and windows hardware, etc. It sure is a long process! But fun!

8. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    It's looking good!!! There is a lot to getting set up.

9. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    sure ya'll did it on purpose, but the siding is running sideways?

10. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    I didn't notice that when I looked at the original pic. It does need to run the other way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by