Beginning coop construction...

sure ya'll did it on purpose, but the siding is running sideways?

Yes the coop is designed in such a way that we don't need multiple pieces joining together. My dad who is a very good carpenter gave us lots of tips to insure this way works. Structurally speaking, it probably wouldn't be best to run it this direction over a large structure. But we can get the most out of the siding, economically speaking, this way and it is only a 4 x 6 coop.

Looks great! You should see the run I built ( not a carpenter what so ever). Puttin me to shame!
bow.gif

It should be fine,
other than the groves running horizontally may catch more rain/snow and speed degradation.....
....so seal well.

Yeah, we're rubbing caulk into all the grooves, on the edges and over all the screw/nail holes and laying on high quality primer and latex paint.

Looks great! You should see the run I built ( not a carpenter what so ever). Puttin me to shame! :bow

I'd love to see it if you have a pic. We haven't even started the run yet haha. I'm no carpenter by any means either but I picked up a lot of math knowledge from my dad who is. He never had sons so we often went with him to jobsites and helped. A lot of this has still been guess work and a ton of research and watching YouTube videos. My dad is now in his 50s and constantly busy so I feel bad asking for help from him. I've only called him twice with questions. He'll just have to be surprised when he swings by and sees what his daughter and son in law made lol.

I'd love to see it if you have a pic. We haven't even started the run yet haha. I'm no carpenter by any means either but I picked up a lot of math knowledge from my dad who is. He never had sons so we often went with him to jobsites and helped. A lot of this has still been guess work and a ton of research and watching YouTube videos. My dad is now in his 50s and constantly busy so I feel bad asking for help from him. I've only called him twice with questions. He'll just have to be surprised when he swings by and sees what his daughter and son in law made lol.

It is 8x16 ft. Half is covered. We are going to completely screen it and put screen into the growth as well. Not the prettiest, but my first time doin it! I also bought an automatic solar chicken door that will go into the side of the shed. We have a 6x12 foot coop inside the shed, so when we open the door chickens don't come running out!

Last edited:

It's starting to look like a coop now. We have about a week of rain free days ahead, according to the weather channel so we hope to get this all finished up before any rain comes along.

Got these cheap piece of trim at our local habitat for humanity restore. They already had grooves cut into them so we decided to use them for the slides for our pop door.

Pop door cut and tested... We will paint it tomorrow and install this weekend after the other walls go up.

^Halfway open.
Closed...

The door sinks down past the 2*4 of the wall frame so hopefully no paws can get a grip on it to pull it up. It's a much taller door than we will need but we may add a lip on later to keep the pine shavings in since we will likely do the deep litter method.

The rest of the afternoon was devoted to gardening. Might get an hour or two of work in tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom