Behavior of Mille Fleur D'Uccle Bantams?

I have a Mille hen and she is one of my favorite birds..... though, she'd rather be left alone most of the time
tongue.png
But when you do hold her she is nice and calm
smile.png
Easy to handle

I would not call d'uccles docile. They are sweet birds, but definiately not a calm lay-around-the-house-watching-the-world-pass-by bird. They are outgoing and spunky. The girls, small as they are, are likely to be at or near the top of the pecking order in a mixed flock--including a flock that contains large fowl.

The boys have a reputation. I have heard that they can be sweet, but they definitely have a reputation on a par with the best (or is that worst?) of the bad-name breeds. The hero rooster of my flock, GoldeMaine is a silkieXd'uccle. The silkie portions seems to have calmed him down somewhat, but he has truly saved several of his flock on several occasions.

D'uccles can be flighty, but are also easily tamed with handling. I have several part d'uccles and adore them.

Quote:
This is true. I know my friend Freebie has a mille fleur rooster and he is full of himself! He shares a coop with a full size australorp roo and he is more aggressive than the standard. A mille fleur is a bantam with a big bird attitude. If you want a bantam that that is pretty winter hardy, can stand their ground with the big birds and is a good little broody they are the bird for you. I have known mille fleurs to brood standard eggs and raise standard chicks! Nothing is funnier than seeing a chick bigger than their foster mama trying to snuggle under her wing LOL!

As with any breed there will be exceptions.
smile.png
My roo was a momma's boy to begin with... hopped right up and rode around on my shoulder while I was doing chores. Then the hormones started pumping, and he's given me a couple of pecks when I least expected it, but I wouldn't say he's mean. There's a lot that the dispositions depend on. Now, the hens are the sweetest things. They'd make great house pets if hubby would let me keep adult chickens in the house.
wink.png

Good mothers, too.

I have a pair. They are so sweet! I think they are the sweetest of all of my birds. My boy, Floyd loves to be held. He also likes to fly up and sit on the horse's backs. Milli, the hen is sweet too but she doesn't like to be held as much. Floyd could care less if you carried him around all day. He is my only rooster I would trust with a child but even then i would be out there to supervise.

Quote:
My roo was also aggressive, but mostly to my 4 y/o son. The hen is the sweetest thing though, and follows my son around begging for nightcrawlers
roll.png
I guess the roo didn't like the competition.

Back
Top Bottom