Behavioral differences between chicks.

Marc7

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2019
Is there anything on here explaining the different behavior between a hen/roo chick. If not could some elaborate on what to look for. Thanks

A cockerel will usually stand more erect than a pullet but it’s not a set in stone type of thing.
Exactly!
I've had some 'ferocious' pullet chicks.

Is there anything on here explaining the different behavior between a hen/roo chick. If not could some elaborate on what to look for. Thanks
If you are trying to sex your chicks, as in your other threads, with most breeds(except those silkies) the males will become glaringly apparent at about 6 weeks old by color and size of combs/wattles.

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Thanks for the reply.(still learning)The fact that you can't find out gender makes me even more intrigued. I know you cant just look between there legs but there must be some sort of definite behavior differences between pullets and cockerals. Do they know lol. Was sure there was some info. But as far as my chicks go I'll definitely be posting pics at the 6 week mark.

Back
Top Bottom