Behaviors? Mean Tessa Can't Behave!

I'm new to this and I'm not doing any hatching. So what to do about a Bit*#y girl? I have a mixed group of 9 that we started as pullets. everyone is great individually (let us "pet" them, pick them up, come to us, etc.) but once feed is out there (even thought there are plenty of spaces for all to feed), a few get very territorial. the lower order girls (buff orpington and golden comet) are growing fine and laying great) but it nags at me as their "mama". I've been told to just let it go and am trying. any suggestions?
There's always a top hen. I put out multiple feeding and watering stations so no one chicken can control them. If you are handing out treats or scratch scatter them far and wide to give everyone a chance, but top birds always get the best resources. It's the way of the chicken.

She was a crazy one. :)
Yes, she is and she's not super sweet when she is not broody!

I'm new to this and I'm not doing any hatching. So what to do about a Bit*#y girl? I have a mixed group of 9 that we started as pullets. everyone is great individually (let us "pet" them, pick them up, come to us, etc.) but once feed is out there (even thought there are plenty of spaces for all to feed), a few get very territorial. the lower order girls (buff orpington and golden comet) are growing fine and laying great) but it nags at me as their "mama". I've been told to just let it go and am trying. any suggestions?

They're right, and Lisa is right in what she told you. Pecking order can look brutal to us. As long as no blood is drawn and all appear to be getting to eat and drink enough, they'll work it out. Some are super bossy and always will be.

Back
Top Bottom