Behaviour Management (Without the Stewpot)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pixie74943, Jun 17, 2009.

1. pixie74943

pixie74943 Songster

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    ARGH

I'm so over my hen, she attacks everything. as in runs halfway across the yard to peck at anything smaller than her. After watching her chase my dog for 10minutes, I put her in Chicken Jail!!

Not that I really expect it to work, I just wanted my dog to have some peace and quiet.

Please tell me she'll calm down when she starts laying (The rude little hen in question in 3 1/2 months). Or is there SOMETHING I can do to this little rascal??

2. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Oof. Sounds like she has plenty of room, if she is running across the yard. Chicken jail might help, at least with another chicken. And you can hope she'll be better when her hormones settle down; I don't know. I recently processed what I thought was a mean roo at 16 weeks, but she had eggs in her.... I'd have processed anyway because I don't want an attack hen.

Some have had some success with blasting them with the garden hose when they act up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2009
  3. RossonRanch

RossonRanch Hatching

Jun 17, 2009
    Thrall, Texas
    I have a mean chicken like that....She grabs my smaller hens by the wing and swings them in circles...They are not free range they are in runs...But all the chicken try to avoid her....

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I have a sister like that, she called the other day, but I have caller ID so I didn't take the call.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  5. illinichick

illinichick Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    [​IMG]

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Do you have a rooster? Roosters tend to keep the peace and stop bad behaviour in hens. However, the rooster may start chasing the dog.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Chase her back. Then when you catch her, put your hand on her back and make her squat for you by applying firm but gentle pressure. Pinch her lightly on the back of the neck while doing this. In other words, be the roo.

8. pixie74943

pixie74943 Songster

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Quote:I tried that.. By the time I catch her she'll have forgotten why I'm chasing her and just think I'm a crazy person.
    Damn fast moving chickens.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  9. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Songster

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Call me crazy, but this worked at our house. we had a RIR who was wild. She was also quite dirty. My dd got ahold of her and gave her a bath, then proceeded to blow her dry. She is now the tamest of all my chickens.

My BR roo was destined for the crockpot, so dd says, "can we try and give him a bath too?" i said, "Can't hurt."

My roo is now friendly. Go figure. So my advice is catch her, give her a bath, and then blow dry her. See what happens.

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    If you don't want the roo try an older 'tuffer' hen, what you need is a alpha hen to put her in her place

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: