Belly hard for two days, then suddenly goes soft. Please help!!

chickensarefamily2me

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 14, 2010
Argyle, Texas
I've posted a topic on Ursula before, but now she's worse!!!

Ursula had a hard belly for two days, and today I saw her on the nest. Now, I find no egg from her, and she's exhausted!!! She won't stand up, and if she does, she flumps back down instantly. She's breathing hard, and leans to her left side. Ursula is eight to ten pounds, and was healthy before this whole belly thing. I brought her inside to cool off, and now Dad said she drank something earlier. I don't know if she's eaten something today. She's really weak, and only a year old!!! Someone, please help!!!!

Please!!!!!!! Someone help!!!!!! I've had six die in four months!! I can't handle another death! Unfortuatly, they all died from strokes. I think it was either old age or head trauma from a bigger, meaner bird. Please help!

If there is any possibility at all that you can take her to an avian vet, do so immediately.

It's that serious/urgent.

Alternatively, you can try reaching Peter Brown at First State Vet Supply for advice - he's very knowledgeable but of course there's nothing like someone seeing her 'in person' and you may not be able to reach him quickly enough. http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/

I
know you know she is suffering and desperately needs help.

JJ

Last edited:
I live in Texas, and there are no avian vets that really know chickens. Dad won't drive me, no matter what. He thinks she's fine! Thank you jjthink! I was losing hope that no one wanted to help. She's drinking more now, and I've got her in my room to stay out of the heat. She's black and white, but also the heaviest, and darkest bird I have.

It's good that you are keeping her out of the heat. Important to avoid any extra stressors on her right now.

Are you able to post pics of her?

How long have you had her?

What is her diet?

Do you know when the last time was that she laid an egg?

Breathing hard is a very bad sign - she is really struggling
sad.png

How many birds do you have?

You mentioned that 6 died in 4 months - do you know why they died?

I'm at work and not able to plug into BYC as often as I'd like so hopefully others will also be along to see your post.

JJ

Had she been laying eggs before symptoms? Has she been pooping? It sounds like she could be eggbound. Soak her bottom in warm water (just let her sit in a warm water bath). That may help her pass a blockage.

Quote:
Yes. I will post one now.

She's only a year old.

She eats Purina Hen Scratch, Layena, Corn, Protien. And the ocasional fruit.

I think she layed an egg a week or two ago...

Old age, extreme cases of eggbound. I'm so worried now because I didn't know what eggbound was. All of them died from strokes.... Ethel was extremely eggbound, and had a stroke, I had to put her down. Harriet was eggbound and had a stroke, QT died of a brain hemorrage or storke. I found her dead one morning. Jade got to dehydrated and died of a stroke. And Irene died from a very hard hit to the head. I think it was a stroke.

Ursula just pooped. I got a photo. It's nasty! It's yellow with very dark black or green matter.

65474_dscn0278.jpg

I just finished with a soaking, and she pooped a little bit, but not much. She's a little happier to not have her back end covered in her own poop. I think her comb is a little redder, but she still won't stand up. I'll try another bath after she eats something. She's alert, but won't eat. She gave one little peck at the food earlier, and she pecked my anklet after she got out of the tub. She nibbled at the scrambled eggs, and I brought her a chunk of watermelon in hopes that it would entice her. It didn't.......

Last edited:
That poop looks pretty normal to me. You can check the awesome poop reference to see what you think.

You say, "she's a little happier to not have her back end covered in her own poop". Have your chickens had "pasty butt" or blocked vents (poop caked and covering the vent)?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom