Below 0° Temps

Watch how the birds behave when it gets really cold. If there is wind to avoid, see how they respond to it as well. Such observations are big part of my interest in chickens. You can learn to read them to see when they are getting outside their comfort zone and then make often modest adjustments to make things right.
Yes!!!^^^
I learned this the hard way.

While I will defer to those with more experience, I think* because of the feather loss you have a good system going. But once they have all their feathers I would discontinue it. My concern would be if you have a backup plan in case the power goes out and they have to rapidly adjust.
We have a whole house generator, and I have backup lights in the event it goes out. My lo temp was 12 and high was 23 this morning, so its not getting overly heated.

Not in some areas, in some areas, around their tail and belly, they are bald.
Do you cover up your face totally when it's 25* degrees outside? Their other feathers will protect them. I fed my birds outside at -9F. Granted they ate fast but they were out. They haven't wanted to come out in this deep snow but they will in a few days.

Do you cover up your face totally when it's 25* degrees outside? Their other feathers will protect them. I fed my birds outside at -9F. Granted they ate fast but they were out. They haven't wanted to come out in this deep snow but they will in a few days.

I dont usually stay outside for 24 hours unless its a real bad day at work, in which case i do cover up. I am just trying to learn and do whats best for them, seeing as i have multiple hens missing large areas of feathers and having temps downwards -10 for the next few nites, i don't want them to succumb to frostbite or hypothermia.

I dont usually stay outside for 24 hours unless its a real bad day at work, in which case i do cover up. I am just trying to learn and do whats best for them, seeing as i have multiple hens missing large areas of feathers and having temps downwards -10 for the next few nites, i don't want them to succumb to frostbite or hypothermia.
Some chickens totally molt in the winter. They are fine. Trying to help you here. I can only type.

ETA: My ISAB has a patch of missing feathers on her neck from an old dog bite. About a 4x4" patch. I've checked it and it's actually warm to the touch. Keep your birds DRY with well ventilated sleeping quarters. They will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom