Beltsville Small White Turkey

That's another point.

I considered a DNA ID project.
Most to all birds out there are not paper pedigreed.
I have another option I've wanted to do for several years, I better get it going.

People calling any small white turkey a "Beltsville". And the "Beltsville" term became generic for smaller white.
Also, This was and I assume still is so people can enter them in the Beltsville class at turkey shows.
The White Holland (a standard size bird, essentially a sport originating from a standard bronze, and larger than the BSW) already has its own class.

Again, ask people where they got their birds from.
If they can't or won't tell you, then you are gambling.
Some people may have true Beltsvilles and intentionally not want to tell you which famous breeder they got them from.
Because they fear you will not buy from them, but will go to the original source, which is probably a good idea.

When I was doing some investigations 11 years ago.
About half would reply. I'd ask them the important questions and where they got them from.
Most I determined did not have true Beltsvilles.
And half did not write back after I informed them.

I even offered or arranged Ames stock to some of them at little or no cost.
Some were very highly recognized people in the turkey breeding and judging field.
Many I learned did not take me up on this offer, some continued selling their MWs under the BSW name.

BT

Just thought I'd post an update with a pic of some of the birds I hatched from J Poole eggs. My wife is very happy with them and they are mischievous. Never ending source of drama for sure. They like to wander off ! Trying to figure out if the one tom we have left has taken out the competition. We lost several other tom's months ago, as they somehow got beat down by the other turkeys. I think this guy bloodied them and got it started. The wife was trying to blame the guineas. The hen's on the other hand have not had any issues. Their about 9 months old and I would estimate the toms weight at 18# and the hen's around 10-11#.

Hi,

Thanks for the update.
Eggs from Jerry in the past couple years are likely Albertsen x Ontario.
Glenis and I prepared a BSW article and hope to publish in the near future.

Brian

Thanks doc.
Keep us updated when,where you publish your article.
That would be an interesting read.

Are there any of the Ames line available anywhere?
I know someone in Ca has them but believe they are only being used for market birds.
Since your from there maybe you know more?

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks doc.
Keep us updated when,where you publish your article.
That would be an interesting read.

Are there any of the Ames line available anywhere?
I know someone in Ca has them but believe they are only being used for market birds.
Since your from there maybe you know more?

Jim
Jim, There used to be a yahoo group - rare heritage turkeys - and the person that had the direct offspring from Ames line sold eggs on that group. You might be able to find somebody that purchased from them there.

I don't have any extra hen's right now.
We should have some poults and eggs available in the spring for pick up only and perhaps after we've got more on the ground in the spring we would part with a laying hen.

Do you have any pic's of your Tom Rs?
I'd be curious to see some other BSW's.

Last edited:
That's another point.

I considered a DNA ID project.
Most to all birds out there are not paper pedigreed.
I have another option I've wanted to do for several years, I better get it going.

People calling any small white turkey a "Beltsville". And the "Beltsville" term became generic for smaller white.
Also, This was and I assume still is so people can enter them in the Beltsville class at turkey shows.
The White Holland (a standard size bird, essentially a sport originating from a standard bronze, and larger than the BSW) already has its own class.

Again, ask people where they got their birds from.
If they can't or won't tell you, then you are gambling.
Some people may have true Beltsvilles and intentionally not want to tell you which famous breeder they got them from.
Because they fear you will not buy from them, but will go to the original source, which is probably a good idea.

When I was doing some investigations 11 years ago.
About half would reply. I'd ask them the important questions and where they got them from.
Most I determined did not have true Beltsvilles.
And half did not write back after I informed them.

I even offered or arranged Ames stock to some of them at little or no cost.
Some were very highly recognized people in the turkey breeding and judging field.
Many I learned did not take me up on this offer, some continued selling their MWs under the BSW name.

BT

Doc:

I have a flock of Beltsvilles that originated from S&S Poultry and Jerry Poole and just love these birds. I would be VERY interested in obtaining some Ames birds and have been actively trying to get some for well over a year. If you would be so kind as to point me in the correct direction, I would be most appreciative!

Here are some of my birds....

I stumbled on this while looking for raising info for this breed. Performance Poultry in Ontario, Canada, also has a Beltsville Small White listed under their Heritage breed section.

Beltsville Small White
Only One Variety Straight Run Only
This turkey is rare and much smaller than the commercial Broad Breasted White.Toms weigh 17 to 20 lbs and hens weigh 10 to 12 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom