Best BB gun model for rat control?

When you discharge a weapon, you always make sure, what is behind your target.
A decade or so back a local cop shot at a cotton mouth in a tree and killed a small child a few hundred feet away that was fishing with a grandparent. Next property over I think, cop never saw the child or the grandparent till he had killed the child.

How about a .22 caliber rat shot rimless round? I've seen it but never shot any. Why would I when a 20 gauge will do the same job? :)
That's cool, I hadn't seen that before. However there are a lot of other animals in the barn. It looks like I'll have to just stick to cleaning better, removing the rabbit cages they hide under, and using dogs.

I used a method I found on YouTube to great success. Essentially building a multi-stall rat trap, putting food in it for a couple nights (without setting the traps) so they get used to entering, then after confirming they are entering and eating, adding food again and a setting the traps the next night.

Exactly, Tom cat bait chunx with tamper proof bait stations. If you are seeing rats then you are inundated. Bait stations will clear them out nicely then it's minor upkeep, just a few chunx per station to the rodents from moving in.

Don't get me wrong, shooting rats is fun. It's just not going to put a dent in the problem. A good break open .22 pellet gun is nice to have around. I've used mine to dispatch mink, weasel, small raccoon, etc.

Hatsan .22 is good pesting gun. Not too heavy, not overpriced and good power for .22 caliber. JSB 18 grain domed would be my pellet of choice. Don't bother with a scope unless you purchase one that is made for these one pump rams. Even the gas ram which I highly recommend will destroy scopes.

https://www.airgundepot.com/hatsan-mod-95-vortex-qe.html#HC9522VORT

The bait cube residue remains in the dead critter, so unless you locate and bag that rat/mouse before it trundles off to die, you run the distinct risk of putting poison into the food chain, mostly when an owl or other raptor finds that critter or its body. Owls and raptors are your friends when it comes to getting rid of rodents. The law of unintended consequences. Just sayin'.

Back
Top Bottom