Best BB gun model for rat control?

The bait cube residue remains in the dead critter, so unless you locate and bag that rat/mouse before it trundles off to die, you run the distinct risk of putting poison into the food chain, mostly when an owl or other raptor finds that critter or its body. Owls and raptors are your friends when it comes to getting rid of rodents. The law of unintended consequences. Just sayin'.
It all depends on your location and situation, most of the land was forested and animals paid the price for that. If most of your varmints' are suburban or city dwellers??? The natural order hase been turned upside down.:(

So there's a real problem with rats in my barn and after trying various methods (poison, traps, trapper, rat terrier) I'm ready to try shooting them. Can anyone recommend the best BB gun for this? Any suggestions about how to recover the lead pellets that miss, or safer pellet?
Will the pellets damage the wall, which is made of 28ga steel roofing material?
I think you will need cats. Rats will disappear if you have cats. Nice cats that get rats are the striped gray kinds. Tabby I think is the name. Some cats that are black and white don't like to get rid of rats. They are too nice and want cheese and nice food.

Be careful with too much power. You don't want it to go through a wall and injure something else. Be wary of BBs as well since they tend to ricochet. A standard pellet should be fine for rodents. As someone else said make sure you watch out for lead, etc. Maybe get a magnet wand to make sure you get everything.

Exactly, Tom cat bait chunx with tamper proof bait stations. If you are seeing rats then you are inundated. Bait stations will clear them out nicely then it's minor upkeep, just a few chunx per station to the rodents from moving in.

Don't get me wrong, shooting rats is fun. It's just not going to put a dent in the problem. A good break open .22 pellet gun is nice to have around. I've used mine to dispatch mink, weasel, small raccoon, etc.

Hatsan .22 is good pesting gun. Not too heavy, not overpriced and good power for .22 caliber. JSB 18 grain domed would be my pellet of choice. Don't bother with a scope unless you purchase one that is made for these one pump rams. Even the gas ram which I highly recommend will destroy scopes.

https://www.airgundepot.com/hatsan-mod-95-vortex-qe.html#HC9522VORT
I'm sure this works but there have been incidental losses of poultry from using bromethelane in the past. There are chickens and dogs in the same areas as the rats. I'd need a solution that doesn't involve poison.

So there's a real problem with rats in my barn and after trying various methods (poison, traps, trapper, rat terrier) I'm ready to try shooting them. Can anyone recommend the best BB gun for this? Any suggestions about how to recover the lead pellets that miss, or safer pellet?
Will the pellets damage the wall, which is made of 28ga steel roofing material?
Try putting red pepper flakes in their food its good for the chickens but the rats hate it also spray them with the hose

Back
Top Bottom