Best BB gun model for rat control?

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
So there's a real problem with rats in my barn and after trying various methods (poison, traps, trapper, rat terrier) I'm ready to try shooting them. Can anyone recommend the best BB gun for this? Any suggestions about how to recover the lead pellets that miss, or safer pellet?
Will the pellets damage the wall, which is made of 28ga steel roofing material?

I love my Gamo. One pump and quite powerful. I've tried alot of different pellets and the ones most lethal that I've used is a pellet with a point in the middle of the front or some that are hollow point and looks like a regular bullet

I don't know about that metal but it'll make a large exit hole on 3/4" plywood
20240202_181039.jpg
20240202_181033.jpg

I love my Gamo. One pump and quite powerful. I've tried alot of different pellets and the ones most lethal that I've used is a pellet with a point in the middle of the front or some that are hollow point and looks like a regular bullet

I don't know about that metal but it'll make a large exit hole on 3/4" plywood
View attachment 3739249View attachment 3739250
Ok. Maybe I need something less powerful then, because the bullet might destroy the barn wall and/or hit another animal behind it. Are there less powerful rounds or guns that will still do the job?

Ok. Maybe I need something less powerful then, because the bullet might destroy the barn wall and/or hit another animal behind it. Are there less powerful rounds or guns that will still do the job?
Then I'd get a regular multi pump 177 caliber and test it one pump at a time till you get the right velocity. Maybe 4 or 5 pump instead or the regular 10. If that's the case you can't go wrong with an old school daisy

Before you shoot at any rats, get a scrap of the material that the barn walls are made of. Shoot at that. Does the bullet go through the wall? You have a problem. Does it damage the wall more than is acceptable? You have a problem.

The body of a rat might not stop the projectile. Rats are fast. You will not always hit it.

Back
Top Bottom