Best Bedding for Brooder?

Forgot to add... I get sawdust for FREE sometimes from local woodworking shops, I just ask them if any of it was pressure treated, they have so far said no treated lumber. I have switched to sawdust in my nesting boxes too, it clumps the poo and I just scoop with a cat litter scoop.

I always hang my feeder and water so they are adjustable as the chicks grow. Keep them just high enough the smallest chick can still eat and drink. Keeps the food and water cleaner and less soggy bedding.
I put my water and food on 2x4 cut offs so they have to jump up to eat /drink .Kind of like a small deck !! It's good for them to learn and then when they dig in the sand and it goes flying it doesn't fill up the water tray!!

Shavings don't absorb much if at all and I feel that the little guys almost get lost in them .. not for me but we are all different!!

I'd prefer a sandy beach over a mulch pit any day

@Ayam onthe Farm I have never had guineas, but we do have tons of land and the perfect environment. Honestly, I have heard tons about their flightiness and noise issues, but even though they sound terrible pets I am only keeping them for tick control (lone star). They are the only things that might help stop ticks without chemicals. I am willing to make the trade off for loud and skittish guineas than getting 40 ticks on me when I walk outside ;)
Yeah, they may be worth a try. We had them also about 15 years ago and they weren't nearly as bad as they were this time. They taste good and their eggs are also good.

Thank you! That was Saffron, my favorite naked neck, she sadly didn't survive the harsh winter last year. I saw the roller grate over the paint pan trick on utube for keeping baby ducks from turning a brooder into a cesspit,
. Homesteady has alot of cool posts for chickens, ducks, etc. I just needed a universal brooder for all birdie babies, his idea worked for me.
I love prima heat lamps! The fire risk with them is so low, i use them in my coop and I have felt much better at night knowing my birds are warm AND safe. :)

Thank you! That was Saffron, my favorite naked neck, she sadly didn't survive the harsh winter last year. I saw the roller grate over the paint pan trick on utube for keeping baby ducks from turning a brooder into a cesspit,
. Homesteady has alot of cool posts for chickens, ducks, etc. I just needed a universal brooder for all birdie babies, his idea worked for me.
Great video!

@Ayam onthe Farm I have never had guineas, but we do have tons of land and the perfect environment. Honestly, I have heard tons about their flightiness and noise issues, but even though they sound terrible pets I am only keeping them for tick control (lone star). They are the only things that might help stop ticks without chemicals. I am willing to make the trade off for loud and skittish guineas than getting 40 ticks on me when I walk outside ;)

Guineas aren't so bad. They definitely are not "pets" and they have a very distinct personality than chickens. They certainly are loud and not nearly as friendly as chickens. However, if I may make a couple suggestions about raising them, I think you will be happier with your guineas. I hope you are getting at least 10 of them. Guineas are flock birds and are only happy in larger groups.

First, do not raise them with the chicks. Guineas raised with chicks think that chickens are the same kind of bird as they are. This turns into problems as they get older because guineas are very aggressive birds, and they will turn that aggressiveness on the chickens also (chasing, bullying, pulling out feathers, etc.). If you raise them separately, they are far more likely to just ignore the chickens.

Also, spend a lot of time with them. I never end up handling my chicks very much, but I do spend a lot of time with them. As the chicks get older, I enlarge the brooder so I can walk in it to add feed and change water, so they see me. I will sit outside their pen and watch their antics. That sort of thing, so they see you every day. They will be much calmer around people then. Probably not coming up to you sort of friendly, but at least they won't squawk and fly away when they see you.

Finally, wherever you want them to be as adults, get them moved to those quarters as young as possible. It takes them several weeks to imprint on a location, and it can be tedious to move them as adults unless you keep them completely locked in (but then where is your tick control?)
I find guineas to be very independent and opinionated birds, but they also amuse me. Check out the forum for guineas here on BYC for more information and help on raising guineas.

I start my day old chicks on paper towels. They are easy to change out and I don't have to worry about the chicks trying to eat it. When they are about a week and are eating good I switch to pine shavings.

My chicks don't eat the wood chips.It seems the ducklings eat it more.They should be fine but you can provide chick grit to help them digest it better.
I raised my peeps with fescue hay & changed it out every other day! I had eighteen of them in a 100 gal aquarium with screen top/ heat lamp on one side, they are now healthy & happy,eggs very soon! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom