Best Bedding for Brooder?

I start off with an old towel the first couple days (folded and shaken out everyday). Then I use those puppy training pads and bit of pine shavings on one end. I do this to keep the water from filling up with pine shavings. So I have heat lamp and shavings on one end of the brooder and water & food under puppy training pads. I can't imagine those small pine particles are good to digest when they get in the water as newborns. However I also keep my chicks in my office in the house... :)

@MasterOfClucker So if they do eat a wood shaving, but they have grit, they should be fine? Sorry to be bothersome, but I just don't want to start off with a mistake :) Also, how often do you change the litter? I am going to probably have 12 chicks in one big brooder.

They will be fine.I have some broody hen raised chicks outside right now and they eat all sorts of stuff.Its only there natural instinct to scratch around and eat stuff.They will be much happier in wood chips than in a paper towel.

I prefer the Rubbermaid type shelf liner, with the tiny holes in it. I got a couple rolls of it, and cut them to the size of the tote. 1. It's soft, and gives them a good grip, especially when newly hatched. 2. You can put some feed on it the first few days, and they can't eat the liner. 3. It keeps it dry in the tote, if they spill their water. 4. I have a bunch of them cut to the size of the tote, so I can replace them when they get messy. 5. They're washable, and reusable. I transfer my chicks to a clean tote every day. When I take the messy tote(s) out to wash them, I put water in the bottom to soak them, before adding soap, and soak the shelf liners at the same time. Then, I either wash them in the soapy water when I wash the tote, or toss them in the washer with my "rags", since I add both detergent, and bleach to the washer.

That would work... I also am recieving a batch of guineas (not on pine shavings of course) and I have heard they aren't the brightest of the bunch :lol:
I use the larger pine shavings and on day one i'll add cardboard or paper, just a piece and spread a mix of sand, baby grit and feed on it. By day 2 or 3 they can use grit free choice. I also show one in five where the food is and where the water is. They'll teach the others.

To help keep shavings out of the water I put the water in a very shallow metal baking pan.
I use a cookie sheet then go bigger as they go bigger.
Eventually the water ends up on paving bricks.

By the time they are able to fling shavings that high they are in the coop/run and water goes outside.

I also use shavings. I do put feed on the cookie sheet so it is easy to find.

Mine always pick shavings up and sometimes do the chicken chase with a piece.
Over the years I have raised over 100 chicks this way. Any I have lost were weak to start with. Thinking back over the years I have only lost maybe 3 or 4.

Back
Top Bottom