Best bedding if any for run

Here's an example. Resist the temptation to cover the skirt with rocks or block. That can get the predators digging farther back under the skirt.
20180323_152934.jpg

Do I need larger run?? I want them to have plenty of space. I won’t have more than 12 grown hens, 1 rooster and then during the summer I’ll have some chicks in there sometimes (but not long)

Your current run plan is minimally large enough, but if you can afford to give them more space, more is always better. I currently have 3 in a main run about 180 sq ft and grass is only a distant dream (I worried about having to mow it too - ha!) Once the grass is gone you'll want to use litter (or sand if that's your preference) to replace it to keep the ground covered, allow for easier clean up, and for drainage.

Your current run plan is minimally large enough, but if you can afford to give them more space, more is always better. I currently have 3 in a main run about 180 sq ft and grass is only a distant dream (I worried about having to mow it too - ha!) Once the grass is gone you'll want to use litter (or sand if that's your preference) to replace it to keep the ground covered, allow for easier clean up, and for drainage.
We’ve got quite an area to add more if we need to and it looks like we do. I’d rather do it now than trying to add on more later.

My hens ate all the grass in their run in three days!! And I had a large run. 5 hens. I used sand which I loved. It's just hard work filling the run with all that sand. Sand is also hard in winter if it freezes. I now moved and have 6 oak trees on the property and use all the leaves for the litter. Works way better. Bug galore for the girls, they turn the leaves over all the time, and I just Rake out the old and put in new every few months. We just had 5 inches of rain so I had to use wood shavings for extra but I like using leaves best.

My hens ate all the grass in their run in three days!! And I had a large run. 5 hens. I used sand which I loved. It's just hard work filling the run with all that sand. Sand is also hard in winter if it freezes. I now moved and have 6 oak trees on the property and use all the leaves for the litter. Works way better. Bug galore for the girls, they turn the leaves over all the time, and I just Rake out the old and put in new every few months. We just had 5 inches of rain so I had to use wood shavings for extra but I like using leaves best.

We are EXTREMELY lucky that there is a gravel pit just a bit down from our house and our neighbors will haul however much construction sand we need right up to the coop. We could technically use a barrel and haul it ourselves since it really is that close, but it would take quite a number of trips and the kids would probably start complaining lol

I use sand, but lemme tell you, you gotta rake out the poo if you do, or you'll be sorry when it gets warm and wet. The smell will knock you over. Sand takes some maintenence, as it becomes a packed down dirt floor after awhile of being left alone. I don't mind the maintenence, and I like that my girls stay nice and clean and their nails and feet stay exfoliated. It drains pretty well, so we don't get a muddy run unless I've neglected it. I've also have yet to have issues with mites, I think the sand might help with that too. I dig up the run every 6 mo. and amend the sand yearly. In winter, I'll throw pine shavings over the sand so they aren't having to stand on icy cold sand.

Last edited:
I use leaves, grass clippings, pine shavings from the infrequent coop clean out in the run. No smell. Will be using some of this material in the gardens in spring if that ever comes.

Back
Top Bottom