Best Bedding on a Concrete Coop Floor?

Debutante

Songster
9 Years
Feb 24, 2011
Chick Newbie here...
In a few weeks my 24 chicks will be moving out of the house to the 'big girl' coop (I CAN'T WAIT but that's another story). LOL!!! :)

I have not yet decided on what type of bedding to use in the coop and have read a great deal of conflicting advice re: sand vs. shavings. I have a concrete floor in the coop and I have heard that the deep litter method only works well on a dirt floor.

The climate here (in Ontario) is freezing cold in the winter and often blazing hot for three months of summer. The chickens will spend the nights in the coop and have access to an outdoor run, which is sand, in the daytime.

I am willing to muck out the coop on an 'almost daily' basis and can add PDZ or horse stall freshener or DE if necessary. The coop is dry and quite well ventilated.

So –– sand, shavings, or other options? Any advice or insights would be VERY much appreciated!!!

I would use shavings, and a LOT of them. You want a nice thick cushion to protect their feet from the hard concrete when they jump. I don't see why the deep litter method wouldn't work great for you. A little stall dry is great mixed in.

I have a wood/vinyl floor, and one of my hens damaged her feet, I believe from hitting the floor when I let the litter get too thin. They need that padding!

No need to clean it that often, especially if you use some kind of poop board and keep that cleaned every week.

I would use shavings, and a LOT of them. You want a nice thick cushion to protect their feet from the hard concrete when they jump. I don't see why the deep litter method wouldn't work great for you. A little stall dry is great mixed in.

I have a wood/vinyl floor, and one of my hens damaged her feet, I believe from hitting the floor when I let the litter get too thin. They need that padding!

No need to clean it that often, especially if you use some kind of poop board and keep that cleaned every week.

Thank you Chookchick. I agree, a very thick layer would be important to prevent injuries. Sorry to hear about your girl's feet!
It's encouraging to hear that I might be able to get away with less-than-daily coop cleaning!!! :-D

Back
Top Bottom