Best Bedding

Goldie4322

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2017
Hi All,
We currently have 9 ducks...6 Pekin, 2 Rouen, and 1 Khaki Campbell. We have a pond with a aerator and duck house that they normally stay in around the spring, summer and fall months. in the winter they have a hard time with the snow and having a spot to dry off so we keep them in the pole barn and let them out when the weather is nice to go for a swim. They are kept in a 20x15 area with a house for them. Barn is cold but they are out of the elements, we are in northwest Indiana. It's a concrete floor, which i know is hard on their feet, so we typically use and thick layer of straw for bedding. This year we have been going through it like crazy and it has been getting wet terribly fast. Does anyone have any other bedding recommendations, or know what we could put down underneath the straw to help? Especially when the weather is warming up and cooling the concrete sweats terrible which does not help. Just trying to find something that may keep a little longer and don't have to risk the chance of getting moldy. Looking forward to hearing all your suggestions!

Straw and pine shavings are the best but i was wondering if you might be able to caulk around the outside of the coop to keep water out of it.

G’Day from down under Goldie4322
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry, I have no experience with ducks, just chickens. However, you could also try posting your question on the Duck Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

I just put a bag of pine shavings down and did some straw on top of that. Have not tried that yet. Going to see how this holds up.

I just put a bag of pine shavings down and did some straw on top of that. Have not tried that yet. Going to see how this holds up.
Honestly thats probably the best thing to. That is what i do and sometimes when i need straw then and there, i use pine straw bc its free and it works great because it naturally stay together and my birds love it.

I may put more shavings down. Had just been using straw because I get my straw for free, but have been going through it quick. Bought 4 bags of shavings to try using with it so I hope it helps! just want to try and keep everything and everyone as dry as I can!

Back
Top Bottom