Bedding

Ruth1966

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2023
Hi,
My question is regarding the behavior and bedding. Every time we clean the coop the girls go in and rearrange what we did, which is fine. It is their house not mine. But my biggest question is why do the throw all of the straw out and then leave a bare floor. It is getting to the time of year where it is getting cold and I read put extra bedding down for warmth. Is there something different we should try or just let them keep their house as they like?

When I clean and add new straw, mine go nuts for a couple days picking through it all but then they ignore it after that. I have a childs size rake I hang in the coop and rake everything back in place when I put them up for the night.

Photos of your coop and where the bedding is coming out? Bedding really shouldn't be coming out of the coop even if they are kicking it around. I keep a 1x4 across the span of the human door (bottom right corner) and my pop door is elevated about 4" as well. Maybe 2% of my bedding makes it outside over the course of a year?

coop7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom