Scratch grains in coop?!?

Baker1181

Chirping
Sep 20, 2023
SW Washington
Larger coop with deep bedding (mix of pine pellets and straw) My chickens go into the coop quite often and rearrange and kick around all the bedding and get to the floor and make piles or push it all to the sides. Noticed it a lot more when it was dumping rain, they spent a lot more time in the coop itself (even tho half of the 8x16 foot run is covered on the roof and sides) what’s everyone’s thoughts on throwing some scratch grains in the coop itself for these days they’d rather be in the coop and give them something to do and eat? I still have their water and food in the covered section free access always.

Larger coop with deep bedding (mix of pine pellets and straw) My chickens go into the coop quite often and rearrange and kick around all the bedding and get to the floor and make piles or push it all to the sides. Noticed it a lot more when it was dumping rain, they spent a lot more time in the coop itself (even tho half of the 8x16 foot run is covered on the roof and sides) what’s everyone’s thoughts on throwing some scratch grains in the coop itself for these days they’d rather be in the coop and give them something to do and eat? I still have their water and food in the covered section free access always.
This isn't a half bad idea but... they're probably hiding from something or the weather. But yeah, if you don't want them in the coop as much, you could do that.

Probably ok in moderation. Personally I want them kicking stuff around as little as possible in the coop, because of the dust, but mine don't choose to be in there short of an active snowfall.

many diseases and parasites spread via the faecal-oral route, so I don't put any food where they poo.

Back
Top Bottom