Best breed around kids

I think each breed has its good and bad eggs (punn intended) when it comes to little kids. I have a 2 1/2yo who feeds the birds and the chickens. We have 2 roos who are silkie mixes we raised from 2 months old and they are very docile around him. We also have 3 production sex-links we got from the feed store at 16 weeks of age. The 5 of them come running when they see him because he feeds them and he is calm. He knows not to touch them and they feel comfortable around him. One even steals his food out of his hands if he is dumb enough to go out with a cookie or pretzel. He stands there and complains to me that she stole his food. I told him she won't be able to do that after he gets bigger.
tongue.png
Now we have 4 Auracaunas and 2 Barred Rocks in the brooder and he knows to sit and hold them gently. 2 of them love to sit in his hands and sleep. I guess what I'm saying is it is not only the temperment of the chicken, but the temperment of the child. I'm sure if he was rough or chased them, they'd be skittish or even nasty to him.

I have had bad experience with rhode island reds and barred rock roosters. I then went to cochins and my roo is so calm. I have also acquired what I am believing to be a black australorp. He walks around and almost talks to us. He even likes to be picked up??
And yes definately silkies.
But I think the main thing is not to let anyone pick at them. They will come to take up for his girls. They are the protector.

Quote:
I know that chickens generally react to children negatively. Maybe its their sharp movements, or their incessant shrieking, or the fact that they are in the chickens face at ground level.
I dunno, but from my observations, chickens dont like kids.

I see little need to force the one on the other.

===========================================

Jody just what is a Lavender Hen? (PS Good to see you
wink.png
)

Last edited:
Some breeds are prone to be more docile than others, it boils down to how much you handle and spend with the animal. I would say bantam Orpingtons for children is a good choice, but remember without socialization, even the best bird can be a handful.

K.

Im curious whenever this discussion comes up, so maybe you all can help me.

We get a flock of birds like chickens, which is essentially a livestock animal. We anthropomorphize them, in other words give them the "Bambi treatment." We call them 'babies' and treat them like pets, but they know nothing of that. They remain the same as always, an implacable force of nature.

Then we toss our unknowing children at them and wonder why the two clash. Or blame the cock when he gets "aggressive" at what he perceives an interloper in his territory. Or we must stand guard, ever watchful for some infraction - by either party.

Why do we do this?

Do we really need more aggravation, gluttons for punishment?
Is it that we want all "Gods creatures to just get along?"
What are we trying to teach a 3 year old about them?

When I was a youngling on a Wisconsin dairy farm, we were generally admonished to leave the animals alone. Up until the age of 4 or 5, you could send most adults on the place into paroxysms of fear or rage simply by being in the wrong place.
Simply put, we were kept from contact with the livestock, when possible, including the rather large flock of chickens (probably to our mutual benefit
smile.png
). I've always reckoned they knew what they were doing back then, and never questioned it until I joined here.

So why do so many BYC'ers insist that their chicken flocks and their kids be thrust together?

Last edited:
Though my birds are pets and David knows it
wink.png
, I would never trust a rooster around a child, period. Makes them nervous, makes me nervous. Only once did a child come here and get close to a rooster, who was freeranging and the kids came up unexpectedly. It was my Hawkeye, best guy in the world and he was visibly nervous due to the kid's presence. I kept myself between them and admonished the older child, a teenager, that I had no idea how Hawkeye would react around children so do not go near him. When I know that kids will be on the property, my roosters are penned up and no one is allowed in the pen or coops. It's not worth the risk. Heck, I have a couple of hens who would peck your face off if you got too close to them in the nest!

Quote:
Great reinforcement to my question, Cyn.
It's cool if you, a grown woman who takes no s**t, "pet-a-fies" a chicken or two. Whatever floats your boat.

But, read back through what you've said - there is genuine reason to NOT shove kids in a chickens face. And yet people do it all the time, if such posts as this are any measure.

I personally believe it is well intended, in the main. BYC people are that, if they are nothing else. Im just curious about some of the reasons.

Quote:
as long as the kid is good with animals and the animal won't hurt the kid, it doesn't really matter. if they both get along and love each other, why not?

Back
Top Bottom