Best breed for a pet?

They are coming up on 2 years.We named them Aflac n Lou-lou :). I'm hoping for some baby ducks. She is laying...I aint sure if they can since they're different breeds...what do u think?

Pekins are good, rouens, cayugas and welsh harlequins. Most of the bigger breeds do well with younger kids. That being said my kids are 2 and 4 and we have a mixed flock. Since they were all raised with kids minus 2 new ones (Cayuga and created) they do fine with the craziness of kids screaming and running their tractors everywhere. They will follow my kids around eating peas out of their hands, which are at eye leve for the duckies.

X2 I have a similar flock to @needlessjunk 's. I would point out that depending on the kid's age and interest, the above mentioned (as well as Swedish) are probably the best for hands on interaction.

But for just watching in the yard, two or more runners are hard to beat (very high energy and comical) but they are less likely to be cuddly and more likely to be underfoot - I have actually stepped on my runners' feet about three times and I think my wife has also 2 times in the last year (and we are REALLY careful). Thank god it was on soft grassy/snowy ground so their feet weren't crushed - I don't think they even knew their feet were stepped on, but they sure complain when they sprawl across your foot because they can't pick theirs up.

As @Amykins pointed out, Pekins are pretty entertaining themselves, mine looks at various things then walks away muttering to herself all day and whenever I am working in the back yard, she inspects my work then gives her opinion on the quality of the work. I think she is the smartest of my flock.

They are coming up on 2 years.We named them Aflac n Lou-lou
smile.png
. I'm hoping for some baby ducks. She is laying...I aint sure if they can since they're different breeds...what do u think?
Of course they can have babies. doesn't matter what breed as long as they can mate and your female goes broody or you have an incubator.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom