Best breed for child's pet and egg laying (in a small space)?

Red Stars or Barred Rocks,

Mine are super friendly and lay every day.

My 6 year old can pick up any one of them and they don't seem to mind a bit.

Last edited:
Quote:
I've had 4 Red Sex Links over the years. They were by far the friendliest hens I've had and I got them all as adults. The first two who were from an egg "farm" would sit on our laps! May have just been a fluke. I've only had a handful of breeds.

I would have to vote for my Orpingtons!! I have 7 Buff Orps and they are just as sweet and gentle as they could be! I have a 4 year old and a 7 year old who helped me witht he handling last spring! We raised them in the living room...they still like to come in every once in a while! They are very gentle with the kids and love a good cuddle if you go sit out back with them! They come runnning when they hear the door open and if you sit, you better expect a chicken on your lap!!
I am sure there are many other breeds that are this friendly and a lot has to do with handling, but these are the only chickens I have had, so of course I have to vote for them!
I am going to try a Cochin in the spring!!

Both my orpingtons were very friendly and really liked to sit in my lap. So did my leghorn but she likes to beat up my other chickens.

For personality, I would go with the Orpington (buff preferably). For space, I would go with bantam. So,there you have it..bantam buff orps. Let me know when you find some.
wink.png

Another bantam breed that comes to mind is my bantam buff ameraucana. The girls are just super friendly when hand raised and sooo adorable. However, they're laying abilities are yet to be desired and they tend to brood more than give eggs. The bonus is blue eggs on these tho...so worth the wait I guess.
smile.png

Jody

My RIR's are great, they are good in small spaces, are cold hardy and will lay during the winter, and are considered the best layers of large brown eggs.

Also you mentioned sex link? Also a great choice since they are half RIR. You are aware that sex link is only first generation. Their babies will not be sex link.

wee.gif
wee.gif

I say just get one of each that everyone is recommending!! !You're going to get one or two and them want 3 or 4 and then want 5 or 6 and then want...well you can see where this is going! LOL

I love my silkie chicks! So soft and so playful! Here is my almost 2 year old neice playing with mine!
pictures042.jpg

Just to be difficult, I have to say that my chickens are all the opposite of what they're supposed to be:

My RIR has turned into my most inconsistent layer (although she started out great. And her eggs are the smallest ones I get.

My Barred Rock is the most aloof.

My Buff Orpington is the most aggressive--both with people and other chickens.

I'm not sure about the reputation of Australorps, but mine is incredibly curious and friendly. She ALWAYS greets me when I visit the coop. She's beautiful, loves to be petted, and has the most amazingly soft feathers. If I didn't want all of my chickens to look different, I'd get more Australorps.

Well, that's no fun, Michelle!
sad.png
Who wants a bad-tempered pet?

Australorps are the sweetest of hens. Often they are also on the low end of the pecking order, unfortunately. I've only heard good things about the Orpingtons.... so sorry you got the hen in the minority. The Australorps at one time were referred to as black Orpingtons, as they are a hybrid of this breed of chicken.

The hen house you've fixed up for your little flock is charming. They also have lots of wonderful room. Some hens are just not appreciative enough!
smile.png

Quote:
I should clarify. She's not bad-tempered. But she's the only one I've seen "bully" another chicken (she only belly-bucks them). And she'll yell and peck you if you try to take an egg from underneath her--whereas the others don't. Other than that, she's friendly. She'll let you pick her up and all that.

Interestingly, my Australorp is actually alpha chicken. She's just a mellow leader.

Thanks for the compliments about my hen house.

Back
Top Bottom