Best breed for child's pet and egg laying (in a small space)?

My Barred Rock is friendly, she squats and lets you catch her sometimes too. Yesterday my friend brought me a white silkie that apparently maybe got disoriendted in the recent storm and then attacked by a dog. She was drenching wet, muddy, small bite hole under wing. But she is extremely friendly, I can cuddle her, she just sits in my lap. And when I gave her a bath, she just sat there! I read they make excellent pets for children.

I know this is an older thread, but I want to put my opinion in it. I think when concerning the different breeds look for: Cochin, Silkie, Faverolle, Brahma, Orpington, D'Uccle, R.I.R., Plymouth Rock.. etc. I have recently been stuck on Bantam Faverolles and now I just have to have them! After I build the new coop (planned and everything!) I'll be searching for some
tongue.png
. I have a silkie, she's sweet, and my best layer. My welsummer can be a bully and she's very loud. My New Hampshire Red is sweet along with my Australorp. My Ameraucana is shy, and I loved my Sex Links and Orpington, R.I.P. Oh, and the best roosters I've had have been my silkies.

Quote:
I'm not Seachick, but I wanted to jump in here.
smile.png

I have a small suburban yard, and if I had to do it again, I'd build my coop as *far from the neighbors as possible*. Not near the fence line. We only have pullets, but they're still loud. And while most of my neighbors think they're cute, the ones closest (and we knew they were picky before we got the chicks) love to complain. Think about your neighbors before you place the coop.

P.S. We have B.O's and EE's. The BO's are definitely best with the kids.

My son raises Bantam cochins and my daughter silkies and they are very tolerant of affection and being hauled about, dressed up, spoiled. They are also kind to visiting little friends. We have a couple mixes of the two and they are as docile and sweet as anything. Funny personalities.

Ok, I am going to go against my usual advise here. Reason we are dealing with a child. If I were you I would get EEs or easter eggers for there color on both body and eggs. This would be a mystry to see what the chickens grow into color wise then what they will lay in color. These are not over large chickens and they are friendly, very good layers and very hardy. You can not go wrong here. It will be a total suprise package on colrs that you will get. Just do a search on some of the EE pics and you will see the variation is endless. These are the coolest chickens for a first time kid.

My 9 year old daughter loves her chickens. She has banties and likes their smaller size, I like the samller messes they leave around the yard compared to some of the big fowl. She kept her chicks in the kitchen ina brooder box and handled them everyday, once they get old enough to like treats they are hooked. Her chickens come running when she comes home from school. She has cochins and a penciled plymouth rock. The rock will jump for treats. She also has 4 Pyncheons that were older but are coming around. They are very tolerant of being held and love the attention of their kid. We are careful to only keep nice roos, she knows that a rooster that is not friendly won't stay. She just got more chicks, salmon favorelles, serams and nankins. All in the house again getting spoiled. Try to see if you can find a local small breeder, usually better quality birds both in health, confirmation and temperment. Have fun with chickens.

i dont mind commenting on an old dug up post!

SERAMA! My seramas are so gentle and so sweet!
1023.jpg

I could not hold them for months, and then pick them right up again like nothing happened!

I would say faverolles 100% they are good winter layers sweet and quite they are also fantasticly doicle and easy to handle. I would say most LF birds might be harder to handle even if they are sweet and some of the bantams are often broody and as a result don't lay as well. Faverolles are great little layers and have been laying through the winter for me. I breed them and I live in the suburbs although I do have a larger then average backyard. I have been able to keep a rooster which has been really nice for me.

D'uccles! (bantams)

But they fly..... But they are the calmest chicks and birds and least likely to scratch. They are likely to fall asleep in your little boy's hand if he's careful with them. My silkie chicks are a bit hyper in comparison. Even as adults the hens are quiet, and like attention. The males are calm and don't fight each other, but still like to crow. I'm thinking of developing a nonclawed d'uccle for kids- since I'm noticing a trend in missing toenails.

Barred Rock or New Hampshire.

My new Hampshire lets my 3 yr old carry her around the yard without scratching. My Barred rock is friendly and likes being petted and doesn't peck at clothing. Of course, you have to spend alot of time with them as chicks. My Buff Orpington is a bully to my bantams and pecks at my leg for treats which could not be fun for a toddler. But I can pick her up and pet her now.

Back
Top Bottom