Best breeds for a good-tempered rooster?

Pics
We culled our rooster Olaf last year after he became nasty with the hens. It grieved us as he was excellent with people, inc. children, and was a nice boy originally, although he accidentally injured some hens (before a pedicure) and then turned aggressive with the girls over time.

We've only had hens since then but I would love to add another rooster to the flock - we enjoy keeping a rooster and like the dimension they bring to the flock. We also have a very dominant hen who has started mounting the lowest ranking hen and causing some severe bald patches, plus there are major squabbles at bedtime. I feel that a rooster would help bring more cohesion as these issues were not present before. We have 14 hens and plenty of space.

Here in the UK there are lots in need of homes, all different shapes and sizes. My Mum is very anxious about it (although we have had many roosters in the past and they were all great!) and keeps saying "let's get a small one!". I would love to hear your opinions on what breeds you recommend for friendly roosters or which ones you'd avoid. I know you can never say for sure but I'm not really familiar with the traits of different breeds.

Thank you!
Even the best of roosters will usually go through a period where them seem to be getting aggressive. My Brahma was a lovey dovey guy till about 18 months, when his hormones took control. He became aggressive with both my wife and brother in law. And possibly attempted to be aggressive toward me. Not sure because i have been to busy to actually know if he just charged me or not. He became seriously randy and was wearing all his hens out, except one who would fight him. He is now just past his two year mark and has been demonstrating what a good rooster he is. He hasn't been hard on the girls. And hasn't challenged anyone in a few months.

My bantam rooster has given me the most trouble. My Marans rooster no problem. There are lost of good articles on taming bad rooster behavior. I think the most important part is our expectations of the rooster. He has a job to do. He is not allowed to be aggressive with me. He is not a pet.

Back
Top Bottom