Best breeds for a good-tempered rooster?

Pics

HollyWoozle

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 12, 2018
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
We culled our rooster Olaf last year after he became nasty with the hens. It grieved us as he was excellent with people, inc. children, and was a nice boy originally, although he accidentally injured some hens (before a pedicure) and then turned aggressive with the girls over time.

We've only had hens since then but I would love to add another rooster to the flock - we enjoy keeping a rooster and like the dimension they bring to the flock. We also have a very dominant hen who has started mounting the lowest ranking hen and causing some severe bald patches, plus there are major squabbles at bedtime. I feel that a rooster would help bring more cohesion as these issues were not present before. We have 14 hens and plenty of space.

Here in the UK there are lots in need of homes, all different shapes and sizes. My Mum is very anxious about it (although we have had many roosters in the past and they were all great!) and keeps saying "let's get a small one!". I would love to hear your opinions on what breeds you recommend for friendly roosters or which ones you'd avoid. I know you can never say for sure but I'm not really familiar with the traits of different breeds.

Thank you!

We culled our rooster Olaf last year after he became nasty with the hens. It grieved us as he was excellent with people, inc. children, and was a nice boy originally, although he accidentally injured some hens (before a pedicure) and then turned aggressive with the girls over time.

We've only had hens since then but I would love to add another rooster to the flock - we enjoy keeping a rooster and like the dimension they bring to the flock. We also have a very dominant hen who has started mounting the lowest ranking hen and causing some severe bald patches, plus there are major squabbles at bedtime. I feel that a rooster would help bring more cohesion as these issues were not present before. We have 14 hens and plenty of space.

Here in the UK there are lots in need of homes, all different shapes and sizes. My Mum is very anxious about it (although we have had many roosters in the past and they were all great!) and keeps saying "let's get a small one!". I would love to hear your opinions on what breeds you recommend for friendly roosters or which ones you'd avoid. I know you can never say for sure but I'm not really familiar with the traits of different breeds.

Thank you!
We have Gold Lace Wyandotte rooster and he is really nice!

I would avoid RIR and leghorns as they tend to be more aggressive. I recommend brahmas, orpingtons, or cochins. But you do have to understand that each individual is different. If you have the time and money, and the heart, I would raise multiple roosters and choose the friendliest to people and hens out if them and cull the rest. And a bantam would be a good rooster to keep amoung standards. They can't bully the hens easily and are easier to handle.

I have 6 roosters in my flock of 20 and 4 of them are golden comets and they are very calm and quiet and not super horny. I have 2 Delawares and they are both jerks one of them started acting better but the other one acts like a horny monster. A Comet rooster is probably what you should look into.

Thanks for your replies so far, really helpful! :D I was also thinking that if we get a young rooster then our dominant hen, Lagertha, might also teach him some manners if required?
Young cockerel are hard to handle. They are often bullies to hens and are often aggressive in the hormonal stage. You might be able to get a very young cockerel and hand raise him away from the girls until he is a year or two years old and more calm and mannered.

I raise straight run chicks in my mixed age flock, and the cockerels do get to learn politensee from the hens and roosters. It makes a difference, IMO.
Any breed can have good or bad roosters, but it's true that some have more good guys than others.
You need to decide if reproduction will be part of his role, or not, because it will matter in picking possible breeds.
Orphingtons can be nice, and should be available there. Also Cochins, big or small, Brahmas, and then Dorkings or Australorps. There are so many breeds, and some that we love here won't be available in the UK, so that's no help.
Mary

Thanks Mary! We won't be breeding, we collect and eat all the eggs, so the rooster would just be for the social dimension and because I think it would be nice to give one a home when there are so many around looking for one. Olaf (who we culled) was a Cuckoo Marans... someone since told me that the most aggressive rooster they ever owned was also a Marans, but I guess there is good and bad in all breeds like you say.

Thanks Mary! We won't be breeding, we collect and eat all the eggs, so the rooster would just be for the social dimension and because I think it would be nice to give one a home when there are so many around looking for one. Olaf (who we culled) was a Cuckoo Marans... someone since told me that the most aggressive rooster they ever owned was also a Marans, but I guess there is good and bad in all breeds like you say.
If you aren't breeding I recommend bantams. My bantam Cochin roo was sweet to the girls, but could never quite figure out how to proberly mount them, and was nice to people too. And even if a bantam is aggressive they are so tiny that the aggressiveness is almost cute. The big girls would occasionally bulky him him though, but nothing major and it was only if i didn't get around to feeding them or they were cooped up for a while.

Back
Top Bottom