Best breeds for a good-tempered rooster?

Cochins in standard and bantam are usually super sweet. Like anything else, they can turn out to be nasty, but in my experience it's super rare.
I have also never had a faverolle (My two roosters right now are faverolle x NHR, so I guess I'm halfway there :lol: ) but I hear they are super sweet. Both of my boys are absolute gentlemen to people, hens, and tiny chicks.
I don't know how common it is, but my RIR rooster was absolutely nasty.

This is one of my boys; his brother is nearly identical but with a black beard.

Attachments

• IMG-1260.PNG
    IMG-1260.PNG
    4.9 MB · Views: 18
Forgot to add, silkies are almost never aggressive toward anything. But they are small and may not fit in well with a LF flock. I've had success with it; it's just whatever you prefer :confused:

I wish I could say the buff orpington cockerels I had were as sweet as everyone has said they are. I had to cull two because when hormones hit them, big problems ensued. I have one left and he's not the gentle sweetheart I read about, but he seems to be good to the girls. Every now and then I have to remind him that, yes, I am the boss of him.

Good luck! It's wonderful to hear you want to give a roo a good home. Thank you!

Now that is cool looking!! 🤩
Cochins in standard and bantam are usually super sweet. Like anything else, they can turn out to be nasty, but in my experience it's super rare.
I have also never had a faverolle (My two roosters right now are faverolle x NHR, so I guess I'm halfway there :lol: ) but I hear they are super sweet. Both of my boys are absolute gentlemen to people, hens, and tiny chicks.
I don't know how common it is, but my RIR rooster was absolutely nasty.

This is one of my boys; his brother is nearly identical but with a black beard.

Those four breeds seem to be getting a lot of mentions! :) We have had two Orpington boys in the past and they were both very docile, but many years ago we had a Brahma who scared me witless at the time. :eek: I was a lot younger though and he was excellent with the hens and we did still really enjoy keeping him. Some great food for thought here!

Here's my youngest Orp cockerel. He squares up to the other birds, but he's lovely to me. He's so tiny it's hilarious to see him squaring up. He has a slightly older cockerel in submission.
He has a rather ugly face though.

Photo of his dad in there too.

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_104801.jpg
    IMG_20200806_104801.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG0557.jpg
    IMAG0557.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom