Best breeds for a good-tempered rooster?

Here we had very mixed results with Speckled Sussex; thought to raise them, years ago, and gave up over rooster temperament. The nice big boys were jerks, and the smaller than desirable boys were sweethearts. Out of over a dozen cockerels from different sources, it was a 50-50 split.
Now we have SS hens only, love them!
Our white Chanteclers have all been very nice, but unlikely to be seen in the UK.
Mary

Here in the UK there are lots in need of homes, all different shapes and sizes.

You could pick one with a pretty picture, and contact the owner to ask about the rooster (Why does he need a new home? How is he with people? How is he with other chickens? Any health problems?)

Then you could ask to go visit, to see how the rooster acts toward his owner, toward you (strangers to him), and toward the other chickens he lives with. (Owner might say no visit, but they might say yes.)

If that rooster is not satisfactory, choose another that looks pretty, and start over.

Individual roosters can be quite different, even when they are the same breed, so you have to check them out as individuals.

Or you can follow this advice:
If you have the time and money, and the heart, I would raise multiple roosters and choose the friendliest to people and hens out if them and cull the rest.
That is what I would probably do.

You could pick one with a pretty picture, and contact the owner to ask about the rooster (Why does he need a new home? How is he with people? How is he with other chickens? Any health problems?)

Then you could ask to go visit, to see how the rooster acts toward his owner, toward you (strangers to him), and toward the other chickens he lives with. (Owner might say no visit, but they might say yes.)

If that rooster is not satisfactory, choose another that looks pretty, and start over.

Individual roosters can be quite different, even when they are the same breed, so you have to check them out as individuals.

Thanks for your thoughts. This is essentially what I am looking at doing - I would prefer not to raise my own as there are many, many roosters in need of homes and I don't 'need' one, I just want one, so I'd rather take one in or just leave things be. There are Facebook groups for rehoming roos and everyday there are people posting photos and it's just so hard to commit somehow... I guess just a little anxious in case it doesn't work out, but we could deal with that.

I did contact someone offering one nearby and ask a little about him. This thread has already been handy in giving me some help in choosing though. :)

Faverolles. :D
They attack food, not much else.
20200818_104424.jpg

He's cute there but terrifying in other shots.
But i've never had a bit of people aggression from him or his father.
Maybe they store personality in those cheeks.:)
20200818_104358.jpg

What a cutie! Actually the one roo I asked about had feathered cheeks but the pics weren't super clear, he just happened to be not far away.

We culled our rooster Olaf last year after he became nasty with the hens. It grieved us as he was excellent with people, inc. children, and was a nice boy originally, although he accidentally injured some hens (before a pedicure) and then turned aggressive with the girls over time.

We've only had hens since then but I would love to add another rooster to the flock - we enjoy keeping a rooster and like the dimension they bring to the flock. We also have a very dominant hen who has started mounting the lowest ranking hen and causing some severe bald patches, plus there are major squabbles at bedtime. I feel that a rooster would help bring more cohesion as these issues were not present before. We have 14 hens and plenty of space.

Here in the UK there are lots in need of homes, all different shapes and sizes. My Mum is very anxious about it (although we have had many roosters in the past and they were all great!) and keeps saying "let's get a small one!". I would love to hear your opinions on what breeds you recommend for friendly roosters or which ones you'd avoid. I know you can never say for sure but I'm not really familiar with the traits of different breeds.

Thank you!
I have a buff Orpington rooster named corn, he is abnormally docile. He was my homecoming date :)
56D597AE-63FA-487C-939E-4014642A5272.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom