1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best brooder floor for baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greenkjb, May 21, 2011.

1. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Just wondering...what do you all use for the chicks to walk on in the brooder. I started out with pine shavings, but it keeps getting in the water. Now I am using newspaper with paper towels on top, but after only a few hours it is filthy. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Pine shavings with paper towels on top for the first couple of days is what I use.

You can raise your waterer up on bricks, and they will hop on up. It helps with keeping the shavings out.

3. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    i had the same problem

i started them in a small brooder with some old towels when they were little chicks

then i tried paper bedding from the feed store, but they started eating the paper and getting it in their feeder and drinker(to the point of rendering them both useless), so i went back to towels immediately

now i have them in a big brooder made from a kiddy pool and chicken wire while i work on the coop/run, with old sheets and towels in it

it's a pain because i have to change it very frequently, but they will be living outside soon so it's working out i guess

some people elevate the food and water on bricks, or use water nipples or other feeding-drinking systems

browse the forums and use the search box and you'll find lots of pictures and discussion on the subject of bedding

4. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Is there a problem with them being in the water? I usually just let the chickens do whatever they want. If they want to throw pine shavings in their water i let them. Screw it. You have to change the water every day or so anyway so i just clean it out then.

5. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:This is also what I do, I change out the paper towels often and the pine shavings as needed.

6. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I put sand in my brooder . Works so well that I am going to convert my coops and run to sand as well (but not all at once).

7. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    yeah i hear great things about sand; if i ever get more chicks i'm trying it

8. Roslyn

Roslyn Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Cle Elum, WA
  9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Tried it all, and frankly, I'm back to good old fashioned yellow straw. (not hay)

10. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I think I am going to try sand next. Would play sand be okay?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by