best broody breed????????***?

I have one cochin that just will not get off the nest.
barnie.gif
I put some duck eggs under her as she has been in there for a couple months...I periodically toss her outside so she can get some sunshine and fresh air.

omg. now i really hope i get a silike! ahh! i have one cochin out.. looks bluish... hmm.. i have 4 more chances to get a silkie,,, cuz i only got 4 white eggs left..!
AAHHH!

ok.. say i dont get a pure silkie... will a silkie mix still bee good??>.. and i f i get no mixed silkies than what about cochins? thts what they would probly be mixed with..... im scared now.... i have 2 chicks out.. and nither are silkies... uhhhhh.
hmm.png

I use hens to hatch all my chicks. I have a small flock of Cochins, 8 hens, that seem to set very well. Added some silkie hens now. The Silkies do a good job, but the full sized Cochins cover many more chicks. Last year all Cochin hens I had hatched chicks. This year they seem to running slow.

I have a Buff Orpington hen that just hatched 11 of twelve Cochin eggs under her. This weekend she will get to have the chicks outside.

I use three small pens to keep the hens in while they sit and this time of year it is a steady flow of hens with chicks out and hens that want to sit in.

Well I have silkies mixed with old english and silkies mixed with D'uncles. They have been broody since February. I took their eggs so when I went out yesturday to collect eggs, They ( all 7 of them) were in one nesting box fighting to set on one egg. They are determend.

So far this year it's been my marans for me. I've had 5 go broody. I also have one white leghorn on the nest,wanting eggs. My chickens are weird.

I just had my Black Langshan hatch 4 peeps. She was the most dedicated mom I've ever seen. I practically had to make her get up to eat etc.
Also have 2 Blue Cochins broody now. This is their 2nd clutch in 2 1/2 months. They weren't real smart the first time but this time they are sticking to their guns. They mean buisness.

Back
Top Bottom