Best Brown Egg Layer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gkeesling, Sep 23, 2009.

1. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I currently have 12 Barr Rocks and 7 Americaunas. I'm considering replacing the Americaunas. Are Barr Rocks the best brown egg layers or are there better brown egg layers that I should add to my flock?

2. tallieb

tallieb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Arizona
    My red sexlinks have been great layers. They started laying at 18 weeks. One of my girls layed for 14 days straight before taking a day off. They are nice big brown eggs.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Australorps are supposed to be really good layers.

4. BioBob

BioBob Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    My vote goes to Golden Comets.

I first got RIR's after researching the list. Problem was "Comets" were not on the list. After disappointment with the RIR's, I delved deeper into research. The consensus seemed to be "Comets" for their laying proficiency, and their disposition. They were Spot On!

I bought 6, three weeks ago, and I am averaging 5.5 eggs per day.

As a bonus, They are VERY Pretty Birds.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  5. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    I agree on the gold comets,I have 12 and hardly ever do they miss laying 12 eggs per day,nice large and extra large brown eggs [​IMG]

6. 4HillsSumatras

4HillsSumatras Chillin' With My Peeps

We bought 6 Red Sex-links 2 months ago just for eggs. We have got 6 per day since. Love the eggs. Large and brown and once a week we get a double yoke. Only thing is, before I bought them I did not know anything about them. I've learned since that the Sex-links lay large amounts of eggs for only a couple of years. In the long haule it might be better to stay with purebreeds. Just a thought.

7. OutdoorFun4

OutdoorFun4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Southern Maine
    I like my RIR but I have to admit my friend with Comets got more eggs and a few weeks earlier.

The black sex links always get lots of votes on this topic. You should check them our too.

8. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    I see alot of people have Red sex-links and even black ones. But I don't see many people on here with Golden sex links! can you thing of any reason why? I have two Goldens 19 weeks old this Fri. got my first tiny brown egg today, well I did get one last Sunday too but It was broken, I think she was on the roost when she let it go! bombs away !!!

9. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My golden comet 'super chicken' is the best chicken ever. she lays every single day, except for the holiday season (thanksgiving-groundhog day), and is friendly and glorious and sweet and likes me.

10. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    black australorps and barred rocks are hard to beat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by