Best Brown Egg Layer

gkeesling

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Hagerstown, IN
I currently have 12 Barr Rocks and 7 Americaunas. I'm considering replacing the Americaunas. Are Barr Rocks the best brown egg layers or are there better brown egg layers that I should add to my flock?

tallieb

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 10, 2009
Arizona
My red sexlinks have been great layers. They started laying at 18 weeks. One of my girls layed for 14 days straight before taking a day off. They are nice big brown eggs.

BioBob

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 14, 2009
Raleigh, NC
My vote goes to Golden Comets.

I first got RIR's after researching the list. Problem was "Comets" were not on the list. After disappointment with the RIR's, I delved deeper into research. The consensus seemed to be "Comets" for their laying proficiency, and their disposition. They were Spot On!

I bought 6, three weeks ago, and I am averaging 5.5 eggs per day.

As a bonus, They are VERY Pretty Birds.

Last edited:

mxpres

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Lenoir,NC
I agree on the gold comets,I have 12 and hardly ever do they miss laying 12 eggs per day,nice large and extra large brown eggs
thumbsup.gif

4HillsSumatras

Songster
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
Rural Hall, North Carolina
We bought 6 Red Sex-links 2 months ago just for eggs. We have got 6 per day since. Love the eggs. Large and brown and once a week we get a double yoke. Only thing is, before I bought them I did not know anything about them. I've learned since that the Sex-links lay large amounts of eggs for only a couple of years. In the long haule it might be better to stay with purebreeds. Just a thought.

OutdoorFun4

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
Southern Maine
I like my RIR but I have to admit my friend with Comets got more eggs and a few weeks earlier.

The black sex links always get lots of votes on this topic. You should check them our too.

RonB

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Woodinville
I see alot of people have Red sex-links and even black ones. But I don't see many people on here with Golden sex links! can you thing of any reason why? I have two Goldens 19 weeks old this Fri. got my first tiny brown egg today, well I did get one last Sunday too but It was broken, I think she was on the roost when she let it go! bombs away !!!

Top Bottom