Best Brown Egg Layer

gkeesling

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Hagerstown, IN
I currently have 12 Barr Rocks and 7 Americaunas. I'm considering replacing the Americaunas. Are Barr Rocks the best brown egg layers or are there better brown egg layers that I should add to my flock?

My red sexlinks have been great layers. They started laying at 18 weeks. One of my girls layed for 14 days straight before taking a day off. They are nice big brown eggs.

My vote goes to Golden Comets.

I first got RIR's after researching the list. Problem was "Comets" were not on the list. After disappointment with the RIR's, I delved deeper into research. The consensus seemed to be "Comets" for their laying proficiency, and their disposition. They were Spot On!

I bought 6, three weeks ago, and I am averaging 5.5 eggs per day.

As a bonus, They are VERY Pretty Birds.

Last edited:
I agree on the gold comets,I have 12 and hardly ever do they miss laying 12 eggs per day,nice large and extra large brown eggs
thumbsup.gif

We bought 6 Red Sex-links 2 months ago just for eggs. We have got 6 per day since. Love the eggs. Large and brown and once a week we get a double yoke. Only thing is, before I bought them I did not know anything about them. I've learned since that the Sex-links lay large amounts of eggs for only a couple of years. In the long haule it might be better to stay with purebreeds. Just a thought.

I like my RIR but I have to admit my friend with Comets got more eggs and a few weeks earlier.

The black sex links always get lots of votes on this topic. You should check them our too.

I see alot of people have Red sex-links and even black ones. But I don't see many people on here with Golden sex links! can you thing of any reason why? I have two Goldens 19 weeks old this Fri. got my first tiny brown egg today, well I did get one last Sunday too but It was broken, I think she was on the roost when she let it go! bombs away !!!

Back
Top Bottom