best brown egg layers?

My Golden Comets are my most prolific layers, and they come into lay sooner than other hens I've had. "Production" RSLs are a close second.

For hens at their peak, I get about an egg a day from the golden comets and RSLs, and about five eggs a week from Rhode Island Reds and RIR-mutts. My orps are more like 4 a week but its a small sample size so I don't know how accurate that is.

I've not been at this long enough to comment on whether the RIRs and Orps will stay at laying longer than the sex links, it's just what I've heard and read. Since most production sex links out-produce other layers over the first couple years, but are generally considered to taper off sooner, you might want to consider RIRs or New Hampshire Reds if you are more concerned about longevity.

I'll also put in a good word for Turkens. Don't be turned off by what they look like in pictures, they are nice birds to have around, and they're not so ugly as the pics once you get to know them. They have a good tempement (at least ones I have known), and they are good layers.

A lot of people on this forum are Barred Rock fans, too.

I am interested in all topics of chickens, including sex-linked birds, but I prefer the pure breeds and I would go with the Rhode Island Reds. They do about 300 a year. The only way to improve upon that is to go for a white egg layer. Now I have read that the Welsummer is a brown (dark brown) egg layer and a non-setter.....sorta flighty. That makes me think you have a leghorn that lays the wrong color egg, but I don't have first hand knowledge on this.
If eggs were my only concern, I would forget the brown and just get leghorns, but I choose RIRs because the locals like brown, it feels homey, the birds are big enough for the table, I like the temperment and they are attractive and healthy.
Honestly, if you don't have a preferance, why don't you just get a special, like McMurray's Brown Egg Layers bargain? Then you will have all brown eggs and can see first hand what each one does for you.
I think the Comet is from the Ideal Hatchery. I don't know what combinations were put together to make the Comet.

I don't know what combinations were put together to make the Comet.

New Hampshire Red rooster and a White Rock hen.

I think Cackle carries them.​

I used to have 8 brown sex links and got almost 8 eggs daily ! They were the best !!!!! Now I have 26 free loading bantams mixes, but I cant complain I got my first egg today !

Gold comets, guaranteed! I have twelve of them and they started laying at 22 weeks and I've been getting a dozen large brown eggs each day for the past two months. They're great hens. They like people and they're curious as all get outs. Very good choice. I couldn't be happier!
smile.png

Last edited:
Right now I have 7 hens out of 16 laying. Out of my 16 pullets (3 white rocks, 2 golden comets, 3 black austrolorpes, 1 barred rock, 1 turken, 2 brown leghorns, 2 white leghorns, and 2 lakenvelders.) I got in May the golden comets started laying at 18 weeks and have each laid an egg everyday. They tend to be large and a little darker brown than my other eggs. For white layers I have the two white leghorns that have also been laying really well. They are the only ones out of 6 white layers (2 brown leghorns and 2 lakenvelders)that are producing.

My Light Brahma gives me huge light brown eggs, regularly one a day in the summer.

29427_secondegg.jpg

This was her second egg ever.

Back
Top Bottom