Best bugs& insects to raise as feed

boulderhenguy

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 17, 2013
Does anybody have experience raising different types of bugs/insects, and if so, I'm looking for information about the best ones to breed, and by best I mean the types that will multiply the most, and on a regular basis.

We love soldier fly larvae. They are plentiful in our compost bins. -will break down the compost material, and crawl to the top for easy harvesting.

I've raised everything from fruit flies, mealworms and crickets to dermestid beetles and tropical roaches (and everything in between) as critter food.. all depends on how well you can handle the "yuck" factor and if you have a warm place to grow them during the colder months... most reproduce pretty fast..

How much room are you willing to dedicate to raising them and will you have time to separate the younger ones from the older ones?

Also keep in mind that with most of these they DO need escape proof housing so they stay put and aren't running amok in your home.. lol.. and in the case of crickets you would need to pull the eggs so the older males don't end up eating them..

as a note.. our chickens preferred the roaches, crickets and mealworms..

most of these were used as reptile food.. dermestids are used to clean bones.. but can double as feed too

Does anybody have experience raising different types of bugs/insects, and if so, I'm looking for information about the best ones to breed, and by best I mean the types that will multiply the most, and on a regular basis.
Hi boulderhenguy! I am raising mealworms and so far they are doing awesome! ( I just started them a couple of months ago and they are really starting to take off now) Very easy to do, inexpensive, and the flock LOVE em! I thought I wouldn't be able to touch them (was pretty grossed out at first), but now they don't bother me at all lol There is a fantastic article about raising them..I will look for it and post a link for you

Ok It's in the "Housing and Raising your Flock" section of the Learning Center. Here is a link (I hope it works lol I'm not completely computer savvy) https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-raise-mealworms
Hope this helps!
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom