Best chicken for little kids?

I can safely say, the more you socialize a faverolle the gentler the food mugging will be. :lau
Exactly. :) Which is why I'm a little hesitant to make recommendations, especially if I haven't raised multiples of any given breed. Even then, it's rather unsafe to make assumptions. Oh, the horror of potentially leading someone astray! :oops:;)

Socialization is key.

~Alex

Funny how experience differs, huh? :):lol: Truly shows that, in spite of breed tendencies, each bird is an individual.

This is illustrated by the fact that my four Leghorns have been incredibly personable creatures, whereas the Australorp was cold/distant. :confused: Interesting stuff. :)

~Alex
I've also found australorps to tend towards flightiness. Not just one, but several birds, from different sources, and spread out over the years. I like Buff orps though, they are much more personable.

Exactly. :) Which is why I'm a little hesitant to make recommendations, especially if I haven't raised multiples of any given breed. Even then, it's rather unsafe to make assumptions. Oh, the horror of potentially leading someone astray! :oops:;)

Socialization is key.

~Alex
You always give great advice, Alexandra. We all give advice based on experience and knowledge, and you have plenty of both. So don't go ducking under chairs. :(Socialization is just the right word for what I was trying to describe, too.

I can safely say, the more you socialize a faverolle the gentler the food mugging will be. :lau
:lau "Food mugging." :love:lol:
I've also found australorps to tend towards flightiness. Not just one, but several birds, from different sources, and spread out over the years. I like Buff orps though, they are much more personable.
Glad to know I'm not the only one. :D
You always give great advice, Alexandra. We all give advice based on experience and knowledge, and you have plenty of both. So don't go ducking under chairs. :(Socialization is just the right word for what I was trying to describe, too.
You are altogether too kind, Jed. :) Thanks a bunch for the kind words. I wouldn't have half of either weren't for my beloved BYCers, or going overboard on birds. :):lol:

Anyhow, sorry for deviating from the original intent of this thread. :caf

~Alex

Good suggestions here but...

I have found leghorns to be very flighty. They've always run like the dickens when I've had them. Not a great choice IMO...
But Australorps are also a good option. Very sweet. Mine always came up to eat out of my hands. Distant relatives of orpingtons and generally good birds (hardy and robust).

Agree. Leghorns are flighty. We just rid of our three pullets...too flighty, lowest in the pecking order, took forever to lay. The males would not shut up...all day long. Attractive, but flighty and loud males.

Everyone thanks for replying! Most likely we will do 2 or 3 BO 2-3 bantams (not quite sure which ones yet) 2-3 silkies and depending on how many we get maybe some Brahmas

Maybe consider Buckeyes. They are an Ohio developed breed, so that could play into the park educational aspect. My understanding they have a good disposition.

Frankly, I don't think it is a good idea to let children run around picking up chickens when they (the children) have not been raised around chickens and know how to behave. The chickens can get injured and stressed. Who is going to care for the chickens? Random park employees? Is there going to be an enclosed run? Is there going to be a plan for aging, sick or injured chickens? Hopefully, these things have been discussed ahead of time and will be addressed. You say the chicks will be raised at someone's home, does this person have children so the chickens get used to being handled? Will there be roosters? If not, is there a plan for the ones that turn out to be cockerels? Or extras, if you plan on a roo? IMO, these are more important questions than breed. I hope this has been well thought out, and it ends up being a great experience for all (including the chickens) but over the years I've seen a lot of parks try this sort of thing, and it is usually not a good thing for the animals. Sorry to be the party pooper, but I think it needs to be said.

Frankly, I don't think it is a good idea to let children run around picking up chickens when they (the children) have not been raised around chickens and know how to behave. The chickens can get injured and stressed. Who is going to care for the chickens? Random park employees? Is there going to be an enclosed run? Is there going to be a plan for aging, sick or injured chickens? Hopefully, these things have been discussed ahead of time and will be addressed. You say the chicks will be raised at someone's home, does this person have children so the chickens get used to being handled? Will there be roosters? If not, is there a plan for the ones that turn out to be cockerels? Or extras, if you plan on a roo? IMO, these are more important questions than breed. I hope this has been well thought out, and it ends up being a great experience for all (including the chickens) but over the years I've seen a lot of parks try this sort of thing, and it is usually not a good thing for the animals. Sorry to be the party pooper, but I think it needs to be said.

We have very little info to go on here with respect to all the details mentioned, but good points for the park planners to consider.

We lived in a larger city with a great park system. One park had a “farm park” area. There was the petting barn, outdoor animal area, chickens with coop, farm veggie and crop area, a/c birthday party room and ponies for little kids to ride. Indoor farm themed 2-story playground, outdoor playground structure, picnic areas, hoe-down barn for rental...a lot in a relatively compact area. With all this...a lot of visitors! Not to mention the rest of the park (connected land, but you would have to drive between) with huge lake, large campground, etc.

They let female chickens roam the farm area, and some were kept in the coop/run area. Roaming chickens, I assume, were put into coop at night. During 9-5 hours, there were barn/farm employees to oversee the general area. Little (toddler) kids would chase the chickens, with no success! Older kids were kept in check by parents or employees. Lots of bushes for the chickens to hide in, some plank fences chickens could get through (kids could not), so it seemed to work well in this highly visited park. The kids and adults loved seeing the chickens unexpectedly here and there! Basically, it could work as long as the process is thought through.

As chicks they will be raised at a close friend house that is a volunteer at the parks. She has 3 children so the chickens will get used to being around kids. I just got more info last night so I don’t know some of these things so that is why there wasn’t to much info. They will be in a run unless someone is watching them. If any turn out to be cockerels, the lady who I mentioned above that is taking care of them as chick she will take them and we will try to get more pullets.
The run hasn’t been made yet but yes there will be a run. Concrete under so predators can’t dig and covered run.
I live about 15 minutes from the park and I am willing to take care of these birds if I need to. The kind woman who said she would raise them said that she would try to get over to the park to take care of them but with 3 kids and work she doesn’t know for sure. Again I’ll still be able to take care of them once in a while once I I take care of My livestock and poultry.
Also my mom is a vet and agreed to take care of sick and injured birds
The chickens will only be out if me or someone is watching them and kids will have to be supervised while picking up the birds.
We had a parks meeting yesterday night and my mom and I are trying to be volunteers. Especially in the summer and late spring I’ll be able to help out more.
Thanks for your concern! Sorry I didn’t address this we didn’t know exact details yet

Back
Top Bottom