Best Chickens to get for year round egg production???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tsiecz, Jan 9, 2013.

1. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    I will be putting an order in for chicks shortly and need more info. I am looking for best breed for year round egg production.
    Here is what I have to choose from:
    Rhode Island Reds
    New Hampshire Reds
    Black Sex Link
    Gold Sex Link
    What would you get? Any other breed recommendations?
    I am limited for space as I just want a mixed flock but want 4 steady layers.
    My others will be 2 Barred Rock, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 2 Ameraucanas.
    Been at it over a year and have the chicken bug BAD. Wish I could have more than ten, but I am 4 over the "approved" limit already. LOL THANKS

2. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I would recommend Gold Sex Links. We have three, and they have been laying every day since August (about 17 weeks old then). They are wonderful! -sweetest birds! We do not utilize any artificial lighting. They haven't missed a day yet, however.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  3. AnimalLover99

AnimalLover99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    rhode island reds i know are 1 of the best layers. do u have americaunas or easter eggers? where did u get them?

4. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those breeds, so get a couple of each! Go Chicken Math!

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Barred Rocks have always been the most reliable for me, but the RR's I've had have been pretty good, too.[​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My barred rocks are the most reliable layers. Sex links are a great choice too.

Now with that being said, no matter what breed you choose, they will need to molt around 12-18 months (depending on when they hatched). They will not lay during this time.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Based on your list, I recommend sex links over Rhode Island Red, just because your sex links will lay more eggs and have a better temperament to boot. They'll all take at least a few weeks off when they moult, though.

8. blackgum

blackgum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2012
    in the woods
    i had red sex links they are egg laying machines and big eggs. hope this helps

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This. To have eggs year round, you need to have a round robin of chicks each spring. Older birds take the winter off, usually, regardless of breed once they reach 2-3 years of age. It's just how God made them.

For backyard folks, I love the sex links. They're good minded, docile, and lay like crazy.

10. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I have to agree with sex links. Mine are black and very sweet... excellent layers, too. Nice large eggs and one of my birds laid for over a month before taking a one day break and was back at it again the next day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by